cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect 4G model to Plusnet Hub One

max99
Grafter

Connect 4G model to Plusnet Hub One

I'm experimenting with using the Hub One as a router only and connecting my external Nighthawk M1 4G modem/router to it.

So far I can't get it to work.

I had assumed the Hub One can receive a broadband connection via the red WAN socket in the back.

Unfortunately it won't work and the Hub keeps asking for user name and password to get online.

Any help would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Connect 4G model to Plusnet Hub One

@max99  the WAN port on the HUB One will expect to make a PPPoE internet connection. The M1 will have already done this to the mobile network and so connecting the Hub One WAN port to this will not work.

What are you trying to achieve by connecting the HUB One to the M1 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

max99
Grafter

I'd like to experiment with the option of using the M1 for 4G internet and continue using the Hub One for WiFi and ethernet connectivity.

Is this possible with the Hub One?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

hi @max99 

Reading between the lines I think you want to use the Hub One as a switch and Wireless Access Point for you 4G connection?

To which the answer is yes, but it would make the current DSL connection redundant.

Follow this link for details.

If you want to use both 4G and DSL on the same network would be a bit of a fiddle but I think it can be achieved.

Dan.

max99
Grafter

Yes that's what I want.  Unfortunately that guide didn't work.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's probably because the guide assumes that the dhcp range of the primary router is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 . That's not the case with the Netgear M1, its 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.  

Change the M1 dhcp range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.166.1.252

Factory reset the hub one and start the procedure again, this time leave its ip address at 192.168.1.254 and just disable the dhcp server. Then connect it to the m1 via one o f its lan ports. That should work , you should be able to access the hub one gui at 192.168.1.254

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

max99
Grafter

Thanks for this. It worked. I can now use the Plusnet Hub for WiFi, with the 4G signal from the M1 providing the internet connection. Unfortunately the remaining LAN ports on the Plusnet router don't seem to work anymore with these changes.

I have an LG smart TV hard connected to the router and it looses internet connection with above changes.

Any idea if this can be fixed?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@max99 wrote:
Unfortunately the remaining LAN ports on the Plusnet router don't seem to work anymore with these changes.
Any idea if this can be fixed?

That's strange, they should work fine!

I actually have a Hub one being used in just this way. It's connected to my main router ( a Draytek 2830 ) via a cable to one of its (the HUB one) LAN ports. I have a PC and a desk voip phone connected to other LAN ports on the Hub one and they work fine.

Is the Smart TV set to DHCP ? and has it renewed its lease ? Maybe its still got the Hub one (192.168.1.254) as its default gateway. It needs to have the M1 (192.168.1.1) as the gateway.

As long as its set to DHCP, unplugging and replugging the cable to the TV should see it get that correctly via DHCP from the M1

max99
Grafter

Thanks for the help.  It's incredibly frustrating as it almost works but the wifi keeps bugging out.   After trying again, this time the LG TV internet worked ok via LAN but the WiFI kept disconnecting with Failed to get IP address.  I've followed all the instructions.

On the M1: Changed dhcp range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.252

Selected Passthrough IP (disabling WiFI)

Disabled Ethernet Sleep

On the Plusnet Homehub:

Disabled DHCP Server and all Firewalls

Am I missing something?

Many thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure that you need to select IP passthrough on the M1