cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work in WDS mode

jaffs

Configuring a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work in WDS mode

Hi,

I'm having difficulty configuring a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work as a wireless access point in my Deco M5 network. I want to use its ethernet ports to connect up a printer.

I've followed instructions from the TP-LINK website to do this. Note I have disabled DHCP on the TD-W8980 as specified.

The TD-W8980 is recognised on the M5 network. The printer connected to the TD-W8980 via an ethernet cable is not - I can't print to it. When I look at the network through the Deco app, I notice the IP address of the printer is registered, but has the MAC address of the TD-W8980 associated with it. Scanning the ports of that IP address shows the printer daemon is up.

What configuration change can I made to get this to work?

Thanks

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Configuring a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work in WDS mode

@jaffs Welcome to the forum.

Try a factory reset on your printer then reconnect it from scratch. It’s quite possible that it’s currently trying to use the settings from a previous configuration.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jaffs

Re: Configuring a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work in WDS mode

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I tried this and it didn't work. I can still see the MAC address of the W8980 associated with two IP addresses (the router itself and the one I assigned to the printer).

Note I also noticed the same issue with a laptop I had connected to the W8980 via an ethernet cable for configuration purposes. The router had its MAC address assigned to the IP address of the laptop. As a further note, I could print from the laptop when they were both connected to the W8980 via ethernet cable