Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Hub One for 2 web servers

FIXED
hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Configuring Hub One for 2 web servers

Before moving to Plusnet I ran 2 web servers behind my firewall using ports 80 and 8080, which could be accessed using my external IP address by port forwarding to the web servers.

I've tried to replicate this on Hub One, but the external IP address doesn't seem to recognize port 80 or 8080, even though I have specified Web server (HTTP) and I created a new Web server (HTTP 8080) in the Port forwarding configuration.

Please someone explain how I can setup Hub One to allow me to access the web servers?

Thanks in advance............Phil

21 REPLIES 21
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Configuring Hub One for 2 web servers

Good Afternoon, 

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your port forwarding config, I would also check the firewall in your account in the member centre as that can stop some things getting through.

Personally however I have ran a few web applications from behind a hub one, such as a rPi running  Smokeping, wordpress install, web servers for monitoring solutions etc so it can definitely be done Smiley

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

Can't get to my router at the moment, but will post a screenshot of the port forwarding config this evening.

I have, however, checked my firewall settings in the Member Centre, and it is switched off.

...........Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for checking that, that's one thing ruled out Smiley I looked forward to hearing from you later on

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

I've included a screenshot of the Port forwarding page from the Hub One Manager:

Screenshot at 2016-12-14 18_03_32.png

Does this help?................Phil

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

I've also discovered today that my external IP address is "Server assigned", whereas with my previous ISP it was fixed. This means that currently I can't setup a DNS record to point to it. This will stop me configuring my 2 web servers, because they will be constantly moving!

Can this be changed?..............Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I myself have had 1 or 2 issues with putting the machines IP into the port forward dialogue, have you tried selecting the device from the dropdown instead and assigning that way Smiley 

In regards to your external IP, for a one off cost of £5 you can get a static IP from ourselves

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

I contacted Plusnet Customer Services and paid my £5 for the static IP address, and rebooted my router to make it active.

I've also made some changes to the Port forwarding config, but my attempts to open a web page using the new IP address still fail with "took too long to respond":

• Replaced Web server with HTTP Server (World Wide Web)
  • Replaced 192.168.1.213 with the device name

Hub_One_Ports(20161215).png

Do you have any more suggestions please?................Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As things stand from the config in the router, and using the in built port 80 forward as you have for now, this should work 100%, I assume on the internal network you can hit the box on 80 and 8080? 

Do you have any other firewalls in place? hardware? software? installed on the box the webserver is on? 

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

There is nothing on the device itself, but I'm currently redirecting traffic to this device from a different router and a different external IP address. I wanted to make sure the redirecting works through Hub One before making it live.  My feeling now is that just re-configuring my existing Belkin N450 DB router to use the Plusnet broadband connection would be easier. Until now I wasn't sure the Belkin router would cope with the increased DSL broadband speed.

..............Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Phil, do you have a basic diagram of your setup, is this Hub one into the phone line, then your belkin into the hub one as lan then into your box?

If so i assume the hub one port forwards you have are setup to forward to the other router rather than the web server then the other router forwards onto the webserver?

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

I have 2 broadband connection through 2 routers connected by a network switch:

Plusnet phone line -- Hub One router      Belkin router -- Other phone line
                                 |          |
                                network switch -- web server

Currently the web server is found from the web side using the static IP address of the other phone line.

..............Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that Phil, 

Is that switched a managed switch or is it just a dumb switch? One thing I would try is connecting another device to the hub one and pinging the webserver on its internal IP, can you hit that from the hub one side of your internal network?

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

Paul,

The network switch is a 16-port dumb switch, and a laptop I connected directly to the Hub One could ping the internal IP address of the web server with times of 0.22-0.36 ms.

..........Phil

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you, 

as things stand that should be working absolutely no issue in that case, the hub one does hit the machine no issue so the internal works as far as routing, the port forward however seems to be where the letdown is, port 80 is definitely not responding on your WAN at present.

My nest suggestion would be to try a factory reset of the hub one, add port 80 and try that again, if not it could be there is some issue with the specific router you have unfortunately.