cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration suggestions...

boney
Hooked

Configuration suggestions...

I don't have my hub yet but I'm trying to work out how best to configure things.

I have simplified this somewhat but my basic situation is as follows:

I have two rooms: Room-A and Room-B.
The master phone socket is located in Room-A.
There is a single ethernet cable running under the floor between Room-A and Room-B.

I have one device in Room-A and three devices in Room-B, all of which require a wired internet connection.
The devices aren't always operating simultaneously, but sometimes they are.
I would like the internet bandwidth to be shared equally between whichever devices happen to be turned on.

Any suggestions? (I'm not particularly keen on powerline adapters)

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Configuration suggestions...

Hi @boney and welcome to the forum.

This is quite a complicated thing to do but you'd be looking to set up QoS rules within your router. So you may find this article of interest.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

A simple switch will do what you want - example here.

Room A router connected to the master socket - device and your ethernet cable connected to the router,

Room B - ethernet cable connected to the switch, along with your other devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mustrum - How is a switch going to help with:

I would like the internet bandwidth to be shared equally between whichever devices happen to be turned on.

That's a job for QoS, No!

boney
Hooked

Mook... Thanks for the reply but I'm more concerned with the physical connection at the moment.

Mustrum... I don't know much about how switches work but would that share the bandwidth equally? I am imagining that your suggestion would provide the device in Room-A with 50% of the bandwidth, while the devices in Room-B would each only get a third of the other 50%.

boney
Hooked

Mook... I see what you mean abot QoS now...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@boney - Well if you're only interested in the physical connection then @Mustrum's reply regarding the switch is the answer. As noted you locate the switch in room B and plug the connection from room A into it. You then connect your devices in the room in to the switch, but again this is not going to address the issue of equal bandwidth distribution. To do that you'll need to address the 50%/50% in your router using QoS then address the division of the bandwidth in room B but you'll not be able to do that without a managed switch that supports QoS like this.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@boney Do you want to limit the bandwidth available to each device?

Or do you want them all to have access to what is available - if so a switch will allow that. It won't limit devices in room A to 50%, all devices will have access to all of the bandwidth when they ask for it. 

Limiting the bandwidth however will need QOS on the router and is a more complex solution

boney
Hooked

QoS sounds too complicated for me. If I was able to connect the device in Room-A wirelessly, would it be possible for me to use the ethernet cable under the floor to allow me to have the router located in Room-B?

boney
Hooked

Mustrum... No, I don't want to limit the bandwidth available to each device. I just want all devices to have an equal "share" of the bandwidth whenever they're being used. I assumed that the router would split the bandwidth between its two connections (50% to the device in Room-A, and 50% to the switch). And the switch would then split its 50% three ways. Is this not what would happen?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@boney The ethernet cable has different, connections than the RJ11 DSL cable, plus keeping the router close to the Master socket will give you optimal speeds.

As for your % bandwidth sharing, no that is not how it works, all devices will have access to the full internet speed, but the likelihood of all needing the full amount would only happen if all of the devices were downloading files or streaming at the same times, even then depending on your speeds that might still work ok.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@boney

I believe that you are overthinking this. Just connect your Ethernet cable into one of the Router LAN sockets in Room A and get something like this to put in room B   https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_1...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

boney
Hooked

I'm very likely overthinking this!

I have an old router that I no longer use (TP-Link TL-WR641G). If I disable the wifi, will that work the same as a switch?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

You also need to disable DCHP see paragraph 4.6 of the manual. http://setuprouter.com/router/tp-link/tl-wr642g/manual-736.pdf

You should not need to touch the default LAN address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have an old router that I no longer use (TP-Link TL-WR641G). If I disable the wifi, will that work the same as a switch?

Make sure you connect to one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.