cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a static IP address

SusieGi
Dabbler

Choosing a static IP address

I need to set a static IP address for a printer that is outside the IP address range of a Hub One router. Are there specific ones that should be avoided/ones that may be better than others? 

31 REPLIES 31
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Choosing a static IP address

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@SusieGi 

Presumably this is connected to your instant ink problem?

The Hub One IP address range is 192.168.1.xxx. Do you not want to connect your printer to the Hub?

Are you following HP advice? If so it might be helpful if you told us the full content.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I need to set a static IP address for a printer that is outside the IP address range of a Hub One router

@SusieGi  do you really mean outside the DHCP range ?

If so the default DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 , so anywhere from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 will be ok for a static IP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SusieGi
Dabbler

My query concerns printer connectivity with HP Instant Ink. HP Support has tried and failed to enable HP to monitor Instant Ink levels via my printer. They tried via the chat line (no longer available unless you use WhatsApp), taking over the PC and by telephone (3 different assistants gradually increasing in seniority). As a last resort they re-enrolled the printer with Instant Ink. It hasn't proved successful although I did manage to print for a while. I also contacted HP community but was redirected to HP Support in the UK. HP Support has done its best to help, but now I'm trying to sort the problem out myself by piecing together bits of information gleaned online. It may not work. If it does, I'll post what I've done. If I'd known how difficult, frustrating and time consuming it was going to be to set up Instant Ink so that it worked. I wouldn't have bothered signing up.

SusieGi
Dabbler

Thanks for that. My terminoIogy leaves a lot to be desired. I did mean outside the DCHP range.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I assume the default PlusNet range is using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 which is /24

Gives you acess to potionally 254 devices. Unless you're running a business or are rich if you need more 😀

I used to have an HP Microsever and what a bit naughty at work. I have my own domain name, so I would point my DNS A record to it and remote desktop to my server. I was friends with the sysadmin and he didn't mind.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Alex  I consider your comments to be totally off topic and irrelevant to the OP's problem and only likely to cause more confusion.🙄

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@SusieGi 

I have no idea why you want to know the fixed IP address range but to give you a heads up on my experience with IP addresses. This is with a Smarthub 6 but assume that the Hub One works the same way..

I have a solar jnverter with a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.70. That is, in the DHCP and not the fixed range. This connects fine so rather than change the address to one in the fixed range to stop any problems with DHCP auto allocating this same address to another device I have told the router to always use this address for the solar inverter.  I assume that this fixes a DHCP allocated address to a device MAC address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hi

Sorry Alex. Your comment wasn't helpful in this instance.

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hi

Was confused by your reply. HP indicated that I'd need a static IP address for HP to enable Instant Ink to monitor the levels in the ink cartridges. As the printer has been on permanently since joining Instant Ink it has retained the same IP address so in effect it has had a static IP address.

Alex
Community Veteran

Well sorry my comment was relevant IMHO, as I assume you'd have to set up the printer as a server which can be accessed from the internet by HP. That's what it sounds like to me, okay my setup was a bit different, where I had a micro server and not a printer.

I will leave it there and say no more on this thead. Only other thing I suppose you may need to open ports on any firewall you may use.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Alex wrote:

as I assume you'd have to set up the printer as a server which can be accessed from the internet by HP.

I can't imagine it works like that, it would be way too complicated to get the end user to configure firewalls to allow that. My guess is that the printer makes periodic connections to the HP servers. That would be much easier and since it's an outgoing connection, no extra router configuration is necessary.

If that's correct, then why wouldn't it be working ? Could it be a DNS problem, PlusNets dns servers not resolving ( or blocking access to ) HP servers ? 

@SusieGi  do you have PlusNet safeguard activated by any chance ?

You could eliminate DNS as the possible problem by assigning as static IP and fixed DNS servers ( googles are a good start 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 ) on the printer and see if it is able to connect

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @MisterW 

Makes more sense it would just talk to an outside server. I just wonder why the printer needs a static internal IP though?

As I say I don't know anything about this printer.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect it doesnt , although it is much easier to address network printers (on the local LAN) when they have static IP's.

Also, it MAY not be possible to apply fixed DNS unless it's also got a static IP as any DHCP assignment will likely automatically set the DNS as well