cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing router

malgpz900
Hooked

Changing router

Due to very poor wi-fi coverage, trying all options suggested by plusnet support I am going to bit the bullet and buy new router. It looks like the existing router cannot be used as a modem only. What alternative hardware are people using? Combined modem/wifi router or separate modem and wifi router?
Cheers,
Malcolm.
9 REPLIES 9
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Changing router

Hi @malgpz900, I'm sorry that you're experiencing some issues with your wireless connection and that our troubleshooting hasn't helped. Have you tried both changing the wireless channel and also separating the 2.4GHz & 5GHz wireless frequencies?

Though we can't offer support on third party routers, I'm sure one of our forums users will step in and offer some advice Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
malgpz900
Hooked

Yes, split to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and also tried every channel. Also used an app to try and find a less populated channel. Think it down to the hardware you supply. The fact that users hare having to buy/use their own hardware should tell you something.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6 bought for around £20 off Ebay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

malgpz900
Hooked

Cheers for that Baldrick1. I might give that ago first to confirm its definitely the supplied hardware that is the problem.
Baldrick1

@malgpz900 

If you do make sure that you get the FTTC version, which has four yellow LAN connectors. Avoid the FTTP version which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets.

Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer

Bones1959
Grafter

Mate since Christmas I’ve told plusnet there routers are rubbish, my contract with plusnet is they promise a minimum of 34mps even going though all the fixes with plusnet techs the highest mps I’ve had is 19mps the lowest witnessed by there tech was 4mps! They answer for this WI FI problem is connect Ethernet cable! I’m considering buying a wheel barrow to make my tower portable and 50 metre Ethernet cable. Thus week I will be claiming compensation from plusnet I suggest everyone with router problems do the same.
malgpz900
Hooked

I didn't think their minimum speed guarantee was for wifi?
Baldrick1

The minimum speed guarantee is for Ethernet connection only. Due to other environmental factors it is impossible to give any guaranrees relating to wireless speed.

Moderator and Customer

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Bones1959, I'm sorry for the issues you have been experiencing with your WiFi. Having looked through the thread here where there has been a lot of back and forth between ourselves, it looks like you previously mentioned that upon testing the line via Ethernet, speeds were still below your estimates.

Can you please advise if this is still the case? As if so, we need to look at progressing this further with our suppliers and to get the ball rolling on this would advise raising a fault here and letting us know once done.

If wired tests are now coming back fine and the issue is solely related to your WiFi can you advise how you got on when separating the routers wireless frequencies so we can best advise on this?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team