Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Wifi SSID & PW on new Plusnet Sagemcom P2704N

sleepyjohn
Grafter

Changing Wifi SSID & PW on new Plusnet Sagemcom P2704N

Hi, 

When my old Technicolor router went faulty,  Plusnet sent me a new Plusnet Sagemcom P2704N earlier this year.  It's basically working fine,  but now I'm trying to change the new preset SSID and PW it came with, back to the old SSID & PW I'd previously set up in my old Technicolor.  

OK, so I'm on my new router's page http://192.168.1.254/basic_wireless.html  and I enter the SSID and PW I want to use in place of the ones it came with and which are still working.    Then I press "Apply"

But that takes me to an alert.html page which tells me:

The following six characters are not allowed in a wireless network/SSID: < > ? " $ ' [ \ +(ASCII values 60, 62, 63, 34, 36, 39, 91, 92 and 43 decimal).

When I press the OK button on that alert page, it takes me back to http://192.168.1.254/basic_wireless.html and my new entry is still showing there, but the alert must be preventing the new settings being saved and they drop back to Plusnet's preset SSID and PW.

I've also tried entering the same details on http://192.168.1.254/advanced_wireless.html and pressing "Apply",  but exactly the same alert page comes up when I do.

Now the SSID I'm trying to enter doesn't contain any of these prohibited symbols; it's all plain alpha-numeric.  The PW I'm trying to enter does contain quite a few non-alpha and non-numeric symbols but none of those prohibited six.  So I can't make any rational sense of the alert I'm getting.

I've had a look at Sagem's "Guide_modemrouteurssansfil_avancee.pdf" manual, but can't see anything about entering a wifi SSID and PW there at all.  

The details I'm trying to enter used to live quite happily in my old Technicolor, so I'm puzzled why this new Sagem doesn't like them.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

1 REPLY 1
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Changing Wifi SSID & PW on new Plusnet Sagemcom P2704N

@sleepyjohn wrote:
I enter the SSID and PW I want to use in place of the ones it came with and which are still working.    Then I press "Apply"

But that takes me to an alert.html page which tells me:

The following six characters are not allowed in a wireless network/SSID: < > ? " $ ' [ \ +(ASCII values 60, 62, 63, 34, 36, 39, 91, 92 and 43 decimal).

Have you tried changing them one at a time?

@sleepyjohn wrote:

Now the SSID I'm trying to enter doesn't contain any of these prohibited symbols; it's all plain alpha-numeric.  The PW I'm trying to enter does contain quite a few non-alpha and non-numeric symbols but none of those prohibited six.

While I can't see the SSID being a problem from what you've said (Providing there is not an accidental space at the start or end of the SSID) it may be worth trying other passwords without the special characters, even if only temporarily, to try and rule out specific characters that for some reason may not be showing on the alert page.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet