Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing SSID on Router 2704n

FIXED
DC1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Changing SSID on Router 2704n

I'm about to switch from a Sky hub router to a Plusnet 2704n one.  I have three cloned TP Link wi-fi hot spots and umpteen wi-fi enabled bits of kit in the house all set up for the Sky hub SSID and password. Changing them all to the Plusnet SSID and password will take ages.  It would be much faster if I could just change the SSID and password of the Plusnet router to match my Sky hub ones so they all carry on automatically.  I can see how I can change the password and wi-fi channel, but not how I can change the SSID.  Plusnet chat line tell me I can't. Just thought I'd double check with all you experts in this forum just in case someone can prove them wrong!

13 REPLIES 13
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Changing SSID on Router 2704n

@DC1

Have a look at the guides at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ . Click on your router picture and then look at the section "How do i change my WiFi settings"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DC1
Rising Star

I already did.  As I said, it tells you how to change the password and wi-fi channel but not how to change the SSID. But thanks for the reply

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Found this on the net. Might help

Finding the WiFi Settings on the Sagemcom 2704N Plusnet

It has been assumed that you have already logged in by following the Login Guidelines for Sagemcom 2704N Plusnet Router.
You should see Basic Home page of the Sagemcom 2704N Plusnet if you have already logged in. The page has two tabs at the top named, Basic and Advanced.

• You need to click Advanced tab located at the top of the Basic Home Page.

• There will be a link titled Setup on the left side of the page.

• You will see Wireless Setup link under the Setup tab. Click the link and you will be taken to a new page.

Changing the WiFi Settings on the Sagemcom 2704N Plusnet

• Choose your region from the Region drop-down menu.

• In the next step you will enter a unique name in the blank space in front of Name (SSID). This will be the name for your network. Choose the name carefully or Click Here to learn more.

• Now set the channel to 1, 6, or 11. To learn more Click Here

• Below that, you will see multiple options in the Security Options. You are recommended the choice of WPA2-PSK [AES]. Click Here to learn more about it.

• In the last you need to set Passphrase which is actually your network password. Make sure that the password you set is of at least fourteen characters in length because setting the strong password is the key to protected network. Click Here to learn more.

• There is a green colored “Apply” button located at the top of the page. Click the button.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DC1
Rising Star

Many thanks for this.  Different router from mine but once I have mine connected I'll check to see whether it also has an "Advanced" settings button offering an SSID change facility.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sounds like the same router type to me. The plusnet 2704n is manufactured by Sagecom, What router have you got?

DC1
Rising Star

Sorry; you're quite right. I was typing from memory without looking back at the thread or at my router and thought mine was 2407 not 2704.  Very interesting indeed.  I will definitely check that out and see if I can change the SSID that way when I set up later this week.  Odd that Plusnet chat line girl told me it couldn't be done - asked me if I was fibre or adsl and told me it wasn't possible as soon as I answered "adsl".  I'm just slightly nervous that changing it might go wrong and cause problems that take longer to undo than changing all my hot spot and kit settings to the default Plusnet SSID and password! Many thanks once again for your help.  Very much appreciated.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

You should be able to set up the Wireless part of the router before your PlusNet service goes live. Connect the 2704 to a laptop via cable, and you should be able to login and access the features you want without waiting for the router to go live on PlusNet (something to do while you wait for the engineer to do his thing with the cabinets).

the other thing to think about may be your DHCP settings. If any of those myriad devices talk to eacjh other and depend on having a specific LAN IP address, you might want to adjust the 2740's DHCP settings as well as it's wireless settings.

PS - I don't know the Sky router, but it may be possible to do the opposite. Put your PlusNet broadband credentials into the SKY router and carry on as before.

DC1
Rising Star

Many thanks once again.  I just showed your earlier post to a Plusnet guy through their chat line and he confirmed that I can do exactly as you say. He's issued a "slap on the wrists" to his colleague who previously told me I couldn't.  Looking good.  I'll let you know how it all works out in the end (no point incidentally in doing as you say in your PS - I'd have to change all my kit settings which is what I'm trying to avoid).

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

@DC1 wrote:

no point incidentally in doing as you say in your PS - I'd have to change all my kit settings which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Sorry either I was not clear or I don't understand what you are trying to do. The router has three sets of parameters. One for the Broadband link to the ISP (usually just username and password but may include PPoE/PPoA etc), one for the Wireless LAN settings (SSID, password, channel and restrictions on connection) and one for the LAN settings ( DCHP range, reserved addresses/MACs etc). The three sets are independent. You can change the ISP link parameters  while retaining the other two as they are.

Switching the SKY routers ISP credentials (username & password)  to those supplied by PlusNet for the new connection will leave your existing Wireless and DHCP parameters as is, and all the existing kit behind the router should carry on as before with no need to change anything.

Unless I am missing something about your setup.

DC1
Rising Star

Sorry.  I get you now.  I thought you were talking about changing the Plusnet router wireless LAN settings to the Sky ones now.  I think I'll do both the ISP and wireless LAN setting changes after I have the broadband working on its Plusnet default settings just to be certain that all is in good working order before I change anything.  Then I'll change them and hope all my kit is happy without my having to play around with DHCP etc, which I fear might take me out of my depth (or even further out of my depth!).  Many thanks once again for all your help. It's very good of you.

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

As mentioned by another user, you need to click on 'Advanced Settings' then 'Wi-Fi. It should bring up all the things you can change, including SSID, channels, password etc..

DC1
Rising Star

Fix
Thanks Cagney. Yes I picked that up and confirmed through the chat line with Plusnet that I can do it. Not yet though because I'm now on day 5 without an Internet connection since Plusnet failed to connect me on 9 February as promised when Sky cut me off as promised! An engineer worked on the cabinet outside my front gate all day yesterday and is still working on it now but no sign yet that my my connection is part of what he's working on.
DC1
Rising Star

Yesterday I finally got up and running with Plusnet and was able to change the Plusnet router's SSID and password to my old Sky ones in just a few seconds by going in through "advanced settings".  No problem at all.  All the kit in my house then carried on working as though nothing had changed, exactly as I had hoped. Great to have Netflix streaming again as a result!