cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed email/router password, now wi-fi won't work...

Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

Changed email/router password, now wi-fi won't work...

Hi folks,

I've just changed my email account password, after recieving an email purporting that my password had been compromised.

That is great, I can now use the new password to collect emails on my mobile and I have a great wired connection to the TV sets. What has gone is WI-FI. I cannont get any of the wi-fi connected products - mobiles, tablets etc.- to connect to the signal anywhere in the house, except if I am standing right over the router in the front bedroom. Then as soon as I leave that room, the signal drops, and I get the wi-fi icon with an exclamation mark next to it - it either says "pasword incorrect" (iPad) or "connected but no internet" (mobiles)

Router has been restarted umpteen times, and I've tried to get new connections on all mobile devices by "forgetting" the network and then trying to log on from new. Nothing.

There has never been a problem with wi-fi anywhere in the house in al the years I've been with Plusnet (since 2004) but suddenly, after changing this PW, no wi-fi! We've not had any work done to the house - no stone walls built etc.

Techincolour TG582N router.

I am pretty sure I've missed out something straightforward, but damned if I know what it is. I haven't changed the wi-fi password, just my email/router one.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine ...

regards

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Changed email/router password, now wi-fi won't work...

Hello @Bernard-Shakey,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with your WiFi password, your email password has no relation to your WiFi password I'm afraid. What I would advise is checking out this link here and going through some of the instructions here. I'd also suggest going through thesetips for your WiFi connection. 

I've also processed an updated Hub one for you, this is so we can assist you further with your WiFi issues should they continue. You should receive the router within the next 3-5 working days -although please allow some further time as Royal Mail are swamped. 

Thanks. 

Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

Mads,

Wow! That's fantastic, thank you so much for your help. I got the new router in the mail today, so that's my weekend off taken care of. Thanks also for the links to some tips and tricks, I'll look forward to reading those.

Quick question: All the wi-fi products that connect in my home have been re-named in my router (my phone, Hive hub, TV etc.) to help make them easier to find - will those still be named with the new router, or will I need to re-name them again? No biggie if I have to, just wondered.

Once again, thanks for your help. I'll come back and click the Fixed my problem once I've installed the router.

Stay safe

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Bernard-Shakey 

You'll have to rename connected devices again but one thing that you can do to speed up the process of swapping hubs is to log into the Advanced wireless setting and change to wireless SSID and password on the new one to the same as ohe old hub. This way connected devices will all automatically pick up the new hub without you having to reconnect each device individually. Just remember that you have done n it in case you need to connect anything else!

If you note the MAC address of each device that you have renamed you won't have any problem identifying them again after the switch over. Again this speeds things up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 thanks very much for your input - I follow your replies to many questions, and you always give informative answers (even though I have to google some of the acronyms etc - my fault, not yours)

Long story short, my home setup is a mess. Just loads of devices cobbled together and seeming to get on well with each other (except WiFi)

I’ve been wanting to set up a proper network at home, but am confused at the options - extenders, access points, powerline etc. All of them, some of them or none!

If you had any links to how to properly set up a network, I would be greatful. I wouldn’t even know what forum subsection to post a request for help. 

A quick question though, the openreach box that is attached to my old router at present. Does that need to be connected to my new hub one, or can I ditch that. I am on a fibre package at present. 

regards, and thanks in advance. 

Dave. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Bernard-Shakey 

To get broadband to work you basically need two things. The first s a Modem. This takes the broadband signal that is transmitted to your home into a digital form. This digital data needs to be processed and distributed. This is the function of the Router.

Plusnet have had two ways of fulfillimg this requirement. For standard ADSL fibre they have always supplied a combined modem/router. That is, a single box that contains both functions. Typically this is a Hub Zero..

When fibre first became available it was installed by Openreach and they fitted a single unit modem. Plusnet then supplied the router unit. This was again  typically a Plusnet Hub Zero but reconfigured so that the ADSL modem part was switched off and only the router part was operational. This appears to be the two box solution that you have.

This two box solution has been superceded with the Hub One.  This is a single box solution that contains both a modem and router, similar to the ADSL Hub Zero. The significant difference is that these can be used to replace the two box solutions and work for both ADSL and fibre services, auto configuring to match that provided.

So if you have a Hub One you do not use the Openreach modem. I hope that this is clear but do come back if I can help further..

I will comment on your other query when. I get a bit of time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'