cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of wifi provider but keeping BT whole home disks

jimboid

Change of wifi provider but keeping BT whole home disks

hello. I have Plusnet but before that I had BT whole home and I bought some booster disks from them, which work with plus net. However, I have 2 wifi networks now, plus net and BT, and some of my devices are connected to different networks  (depending on the signal strength in different parts of the house) which means things like Alexa don't always work. So I want to permanently remove BT, and the 'forget' option doesn't work because my devices just re-discover it when it becomes the strongest signal. 

I haven't got a BT router, they asked me to return it. I only have a plus net router.

On the list of available networks on my devices it shows BT and plus net.

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Change of wifi provider but keeping BT whole home disks

@jimboid 

What a pity that you did not hang on to your Smarthub 2. They are far better than the Hub One and can be set up to work with Plusnet. When you say that you want to forget BT I assume that you want the same SSID and password for both the router and mesh units.

The easiest solution may be to log into your router by entering 192.168.1.254 into your browser address field, go to the wireless settings where I think, but don't know because I use a Smarthub 6, you can change the Plusnet SSID and password. Set these to be the same as your discs and see how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

I would echo @Baldrick1's comments in regards to this.

Give us a nudge if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jimboid 

What a pity that you did not hang on to your Smarthub 2. They are far better than the Hub One and can be set up to work with Plusnet. When you say that you want to forget BT I assume that you want the same SSID and password for both the router and mesh units.

Are we talking about the smarthub 2 or whole home wifi here? I'm a little confused.

If it was smarthub 2 then the disks wouldn't work at all as they need to be paired with the hub. Whole home disks aren't compatible with the smarthub 2. 

Perhaps the disk placement could be better.

Customer / Moderator
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@dvorak 

I bow to your superior knowledge. I assumed that the discs were the same.

Either way as I see it  @jimboid has two sensible options to resolve a this problem, either use the same SSID for the discs and router as suggested or switch off the router wifi altogether. If @jimboid has his devices already paired with the discs then if the router wifi is required then it seems simpler to change the router SSID.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak

I'm not so sure that the handoff between the router and the disks would work well as the Hub One doesn't support the mesh hand off.
As one disk *needs* to be plugged into the router then I'd switch off the wifi on the router as it may cause problems.
Customer / Moderator