Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reset broadband password in router settings

FIXED
Wladimir333

Cannot reset broadband password in router settings

Help, please..... I'm getting kinda desperate with this:
I've reset the password to my plusnet account today and wasn't connected to the wifi at that point. You then get prompted to update the password stored in the router. When I got home I accesed the router and tried to change the password, but with no luck. It lets me change the username, but even after rebooting and complete factory reset, the router always defaults back to the factory password when I click on connect. I have the 2704N router model.
Please help me out with some advice on this.
Thank you,
Sabine
6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Cannot reset broadband password in router settings

Are you using safari web browser, perhaps on an IOS device?

If yes, try using chrome.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Wladimir333

Tried it on safari initially and thought that may be the problem. Then used my laptop and tried Firefox and chrome - still same result. It allows me to change the username but not the password.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I don't own a 2704n, so please excuse my ignorance, I wonder if your router is simply reporting back to you that the password you are entering is invalid because it does not match what is known to Plusnet?

(I presume you entered your username correctly.  eg. username@plusdsl.net)

You could try this suggestion that I find usually works for BT Home Hubs (and Hub One) to 'force' the hub to store both username & password:

Unplug the broadband cable to the router so it has no internet connection.

Reboot the router.

Edit the username & password, and save it.

Reboot router.

Confirm username has not changed.  This is usually an indication the hub has successfully stored both username and password. (I think the password is hidden so one has to assume it is saved in the router)

Now plug broadband cable in and see if hub connects.

If home hub still can't connect to plusnet broadband using the stored username & password, then there is most likely to be an issue with your broadband account.

Another idea, is provided you have not disabled automatic hardware setup  (Member's Centre->Connection Settings->Automatic Hardware setup) on your Plusnet account, then if you were to factory reset the router, the default username is usually 'setup@plusdsl.net'.  If you don't edit the username/password, the router is then supposed to automatically retrieve your account username and password for you within 10 minutes of connecting to the broadband service and store it in the router, replacing setup@plusdsl.net. (Provided the router was supplied to you by Plusnet, and you didn't buy it off ebay etc)  This is what usually happens with Home Hubs; I think it should be same for 2704n.

Another suggestion is have you considered logging into your plusnet account and changing the password back to what it used to be, to confirm it works?

If no one else has any other suggestions, I think you may need to phone Plusnet to see if they can resolve the issue. 

It is also possible the router is simply faulty.  If it is less than a year old, I think Plusnet should offer to send a free replacement.  Otherwise, they ask you to agree a new contract to get a new router, or you can always buy your own from Argos/Amazon etc.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hello Sabine. I'm sorry to hear you're having connection problems after resetting your password.

It lets me change the username, but even after rebooting and complete factory reset, the router always defaults back to the factory password when I click on connect. I have the 2704N router model.

That's normal for the 2704N [Hub Zero] but it'd still connect with the password you entered.

Don't ask me why it does that Smiley

With that said, I don't think this is a password issue. It looks like it's in regards to this ticket you currently have open with our support team on your account.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wladimir333

Hi,

Thank you for your help. You are right, I've figured it out in parallel as well. For the account I had the issue with, internet services were deactivated on the day I was trying to sort out the router due to home move. That was the only thing that happened quickly with this whole moving address thing unfortunately.
On my other account, where I've done the same thing regarding changing password, it worked flawlessly.
2 things that may be helpful for other people: with Internet services deactivated, the Internet light on the router doesn't come on at all. The one with the password mismatch had a red flashing light. Also I've noticed there's some sort of 5 digit password entered by default when Auto hardware update is on. The amount of characters entered revert back to this 5 digit length when clicking on connect, but it still updates the password.

Anyway - all sorted so thank your for everyone's help!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

Apologies for the delay in getting your services up and running at your new address. It looks like the job is with the new-sites team to assess what work is required to install the line.

We're due an update by the end of the week.

Our provisioning team will endeavour to keep you updated with any progress.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet