cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you recommend cheap modem Wifi router?

FIXED
Dixxie

Can you recommend cheap modem Wifi router?

Can anyone recommend cheap modem router I could quickly buy from Argos or Amazon that would work with Plusnet fibre broadband? Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Can you recommend cheap modem Wifi router?

PC World are doing a good deal on the Netgear D7000 at the oment.

But have a look at this link for other options depending on your budget.

Alternatively many people have been happy picking up a BT Hub 6 from their favourite online auction site for £20 or so.

Dixxie

Thanks so much for taking time to reply 🙏🏼. The issue is that Plusnet messed up posting my replacement so I have no broadband which I rely on for work, music, tv, radio, Alexa etc... so I was thinking of buying a cheap one to get me through the next week. I don’t want to spend much and I don’t need anything fancy as I already have Google Mesh WiFi which plugs into my modem router to deliver a consistent high speed 73Mbps WiFi through the whole house.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Given the trouble people are reporting when using the Hub 1, and your reliance on the internet I really don't understand your thinking. 

ISP's tend to save as much as they can on routers,so in the long term it is worth spending a little extra. 

But do have a look in your local ads, the BT Hub6 is cheap, and will get you back on line quickly.

Dixxie

As I said, my Google mesh WiFi is brilliant so I just need a cheap modem to plug it into. No point in spending much as the Google Mesh does the job and gives me a consistent 73Mbps throughout the house.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Plusnet post out their routers by first class post so can arrive in less then their quoted 3 to 5 days. If all ypu want is a bog standard router then you can't go wrong spending £15-20 on a Smarthub 6. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

It's a better router than Plusnet's offering. I would use one and keep Plusnet's device as a spare should you have problems in the future.

I thought that the Google mesh system incorporated a router? If so I assume that you have configured yours in Access Point mode?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

zxcvbnm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fix

Its a bit old but supposed to have a broadcom chipset which is well regarded for sync speeds

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882? Tp-link  TD-W9970 £40 which is on the expensive side for this model, cheaper elsewhere, but if you want something you can pick up straight away that's probably as good as it gets without paying more.

Or as people have said there are an endless supply of cast offs on ebay going for less that £10 including many of the bundled plus.net routers and homehubs, just be careful to get one with a vdsl modem. You could try sorting by distance, perhaps your neighbour has one to collect. But of course by the time ebay sends you one the plus.net one may well have arrived too...

Personally I found the home hub 6 ok for free but weird with a reputation for early death, mine certainly died within a year. 

Dixxie

Thanks so much, yes I think this is my best option as I can go and pick it up as soon as Argos opens this morning... haven’t managed to find a spare through local friends and networks 😊👍🏽
Dixxie

I was about to reply that Google WiFi has routers but not a modem, as that’s what you usually do... but I think you may be onto something as I’ve been able to plug it straight into the filter and into the wall! I need to fiddle with set up and passwords (Will follow link to instructions) and will report back! 🤞
Dixxie

Hmm, no as I thought... Google WiFi is a router / set of routers that form a mesh network but you have to plug it into a modem. Worth it though - My Plusnet fibre signal went from 28 to 73Mbps and the signal is consistent throughout the house 24/7!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If it helps, I use the 9970 in bridge mode as a modem. It's simple to setup and has a decent modem. Performance as a router would be a bit dubious as its not very high spec but as just a modem its fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.