cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can wireless devices see a wired Plex media server?

SouthLondonDSL
Dabbler

Can wireless devices see a wired Plex media server?

If I have a Plex media server running on a device (either desktop PC or NAS) which is connected to the router via an ethernet cable, can wireless devices see that server? Has anyone tried?

I ask because with my Vodafone router they can't; one of the many reasons I want to leave Vodafone! With my Vodafone router, all devices, including the server, need to be connected via wifi. It must have something to do with wireless isolation: basically the router prevents wired and wireless devices from talking to each other; the Vodafone forum is full of complaints about this.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can wireless devices see a wired Plex media server?

@SouthLondonDSL - I have a DLNA server running on a NAS box and every client, both wired and wireless, can see it and stream from it. I assume from your original post that there is no option to turn this isolation off? If not then I'd suggest a new router so if you're new to Plusnet as the post implies then you may still get a router from them for the price of P&P.

SouthLondonDSL
Dabbler

That's very useful, thanks! Have you by any chance tried with a Plex server, too? Is this setup of yours with Plusnet's ordinary router or with your own? How do you find Plusnet router, in general? Would you recommend upgrading to something more advanced? My only needs are decent transfer speeds over wifi (across PCs connected to the router) and for wireless devcies to access a wired Plex server.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Yes to both questions.

I have Plex Media server running on my PC and a QNAP NAS, both of which are connected via ethernet to a Plusnet Hub One.

All of my wireless devices (TV, phone & tablet) can see the servers without any problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I  had one a while back but not any more and it worked for everyone in the same way as the DLNA does now. I don't use the Plusnet router but a DrayTek 2925 with dual Vigor 130 Modems.

I normally check my LAN speed using curl :

curl file:///Volumes/Public/Downloads/File_to_Copy > /dev/null

Curl is available for Windows if you're interested.