cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we change routers or are we stuck with the Plusnet router?

j5000

Can we change routers or are we stuck with the Plusnet router?

I would like to change out my router as I have been experiencing dropped connections every few days and a poor wifi signal in general. Would this cause any issues with the service compatibility wise?

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Can we change routers or are we stuck with the Plusnet router?

@j5000 

PlusNet have always been happy for customers to use their own equipment.

The settings required are shown in hte Help pages.

Brian

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@j5000 The only real difference is that Plusnet will not offer any support for problems with routers other than their own.

However there's plenty of support available from forum members.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@j5000 

I know that I just get boring about this but what Plusnet and many others talk about is NOT a Router. It is a combined ADSL/VDSL Modem/Router. That is, the box has both a modem AND router built in to it.

The reason that I constantly harp on about this is that it's not uncommon for those who do not understand the technology going out and buying a straight 3rd party router only to find that it doesn't work on the Plusnet FTTC service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah @Baldrick1 

I assume you're saying whatever replacement equipment you use has to contain a modem as well a router as the PlusNet one is both. Very easy to assume one box is like another from appearence, and one may just be a router only with no modem whilst another is both.

Not that I've tried changing routers round my sister's (where the PlusNet connection is) they just use the Hub One and when I pop over there I don't interfere unless I get bad news. Well I did actually a few weeks back, but since she has stopped moaning to me since then I can only the problem has been fixed.

I will go over there later and ask the dreaded questions - "How are you?", "Has the internet been working okay?". Hopefully I'll get a "I'm fine" and "Yes it has been". I have given up trying to assume what to expect when I go round there now.

Baldrick1

@Alex wrote:

Ah @Baldrick1 

I assume you're saying whatever replacement equipment you use has to contain a modem as well a router as the PlusNet one is both. Very easy to assume one box is like another from appearence, and one may just be a router only with no modem whilst another is both.

Exactly. However it's not as much as how they look but how the box is described. Plusnet name their current device a Hub One, so why not refer to them as a hub or perhaps modem/router rather than they, and other contributors, tell people that they can buy their own 'Router'? The fact is that a router is NOT just what is required to replace a Hub One.

Yes, you can buy your own router providing you also buy your own modem to go with it.

Moderator and Customer

j5000

I think I may have fallen victim to this very thing as the new router (Tenda AC19 AC2100 WiFi Router) that will be arriving tomorrow seems unlikely to be compatible from looking at the rear inputs on the product page photo, and comparing it to the rear of the Plusnet hub. Seems like I need something like the TP Link Archer VR2100 VDSL/ADSL which is more than double the price but has the DSL port.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Hate to say it, @j5000 , but you are 100% correct - the name tells you - Tenda AC19 AC2100 WiFi Router.

Haven't read the rest of the post, so don't know it has been mentioned, but the BT HH6 is a very cheap good alternative to the Hub1, although the numbers are falling on the S/H market as BT only 'loan' them these days.

John
Baldrick1

My case rests M’Lud!

@j5000 

Many of us successfully use a Smarthub 6. You will find more information pinned to the top of this Router board.

Moderator and Customer