cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open ports

jacobal

Can't open ports

I've read many of the guides here. No ports I have ever attempted to open have been classed as open when checking them through various methods.

I want to open any port. I have added the ports in the router's firewall options and then selected them to be forwarded to my device (PC) but they are still not open.

7 REPLIES 7
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Can't open ports

Is the PC set up to respond on the ports you've set? If not then the ports will not appear as open, like what you are seeing.
That's RPM to you!!
jacobal

Are you talking about the firewall on my PC?

Doesn't help even if I have inbound and outbound rules set.

jacobal

chrome_2018-01-28_08-29-42.png

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Morning! Smiley 

I believe RPMozley is referring to what is running on your PC itself that should be accessible from outside of your network.

Do you have an application or program running on your computer that is set to listen on port 8080? as your logs show this is the port that are you are trying to use

jacobal

That's the port I want to use, yes. I want to host a server for a video game using that port. It hasn't worked before in the past when I have tried.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This is a useful site for checking your ports and whether they are open.

I've used it before, and it was a while ago but it lets you put a port number in and will tell you if it is open, closed or stealth. I believe the difference between closed or stealth, is closed is it gets a response to say "go away" and stealth is it gets nothing at all.

Also disable Windows firewall (from control panel), and also check your PlusNet member centre to see if the PlusNet firewall is enabled and if so disable that too. I don't know if PlusNet still do this, but they used to.

Check if you've got any anti virus software, as this could be blocking ports too. I would shut everything down other than the core essentials. If then it works then gradually start reusing your apps to find out what is causing it to not to work as you may need to configure them to allow port access.

jacobal

Every port is stealthed.

With windows defender off, Port 80 goes from being stealthed to being closed, even if I attempt to forward that port.