cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t connect to router

Steevo
Grafter

Can’t connect to router

WiFi seems to be causing issues. When I click the SSID to conmect to the router and have the password input it says it can’t connect.

I have a feeling my router has broken and won’t run DHCP.
12 REPLIES 12
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Can’t connect to router

I note this is in the ADSL section so you're probably not using a PNH1, but I too had the same issue a few days back.

My issue was on a windows 10 laptop and would not connect via wifi with the exact same message.

Bizarrely I connected via ethernet, ran windows update, which found some, then unplugged the ethernet and it then connected perfectly fine and has done ever since.

So, if you're using a W10 laptop, try the above.

If not, it might be a faulty router (assuming the same message is on all of your devices) or if you're using an earlier version of the PN router, then I can't help you with that either as I've never used one.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I assume that you're using the correct password? I only ask as it's not unknown for people to use the router admin password rather than the wireless one.

Also the Hub Zero wireless is poor, You are picking up the correct SSID and not a neighbours Plusnet router?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Steevo
Grafter

Called support. They advised factory reset.

That helped, then the problem reappeared a while later.

I think there’s a WiFi issue with my router as tv streaming is awful over wireless and wireless keeps dropping.
DS
Seasoned Champion

It does kinda point to a failing router Sad

If it's at default settings and it won't allow you to connect, not sure what else it can be.

How close to the router are you? If it's some distance, try moving closer and then see if it connects at all...?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Steevo wrote:
I think there’s a WiFi issue with my router as tv streaming is awful over wireless and wireless keeps dropping.

As I said earlier, the wireless performance of the Plusnet Hub Zero is awful. See this review, which is now 4 years old, https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review especially this bit:

These are some of the worst speeds we’ve seen from any router.

.What speeds are you getting over ADSL with a wired connection? If they are adequate for TV streaming and you are on a budget then go onto Ebay and bag yourself a cheap BT Smarthub 6. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

The version you need has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid FTTP models, which have a Red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Steevo
Grafter

Thanks.

Only 4m distance max, going through single wall.
Steevo
Grafter

I’ve never had an issue with the router yet so think it must be something dodgy or on its way out.

Broadband speed is only 3.0 so ok for streaming, and a higher wireless speed wouldn’t help this.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Even through a wall at 4 metres, it aint that far.

Hmm, still could be a duff router me thinks, though I've been wrong more times than I've been right.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Steevo,

Thanks for getting in touch. I would agree that the symptoms you've described may indicate a router fault.

I've arranged for the router to be returned under warranty and for a replacement to be sent.

Please let us know how you get on when the new router arrives.

Best wishes

Dave

Steevo
Grafter

Hi Dave,

Thank you.

I spoke to support yesterday afternoon who advised changing the router channel and wifi mode. These changes appear to have helped performance since.

I will try the replacement router when it arrives.

VeronicaBishop

If you can't connect to the router, Ensure you are typing correct password or security key.

Wifi router logn