Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Hub 1 To Sony Television.

FIXED
Zack
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can't connect Hub 1 To Sony Television.

I got a Plusnet Hub 1 router 2 days ago and I have managed to connect Wirelessly with my phone ok however when I have tried to connect it to my TV (using Ethernet cable) it is telling me that the server cannot be found? On the other hand it tells me that my Cable connection, Internet service and local service are all ok but still I have no internet. The TV is A KDL-32EX503 Bravia (Sony). Has anybody got any ideas about how to proceed?

Ps. Ive tried turning it off and on again. Also ran a  network diagnostic which told me servers couldn't be found...

19 REPLIES 19
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Can't connect Hub 1 To Sony Television.

@Zack 

Was it working with a previous router?

Have you checked to see if the TV is running the most up to date version of the firmware for the apps etc? I ask because I friend of mine with a Sony discovered that was the reason he was having similar trouble about a month go.

Zack
Dabbler

Actually this is the first time I've tried connecting with a router, I've been living off freeview like a caveman until now. The TV isn't an Android TV because it was made pre-2014 so I'm not sure if I CAN install firmware? Especially as the problem I'm having is to do with getting connected in the first place?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Can you change the dns settings manually? If so might be worth changing it to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to see if that helps.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Zack
Dabbler

Nope that didn't work either. It still says that my Cable connection, local access and internet access are ok but the server isn't found.

Zack
Dabbler

In fairness to Plusnet I haven't worked out if it is a problem with their router, my Sony television, or if it's just purely because I'm rubbish with technology and I'm missing something important...
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Zack 

I suspect that it is the TV which is now several years old and Sony have probably changed their server settings etc. Have you looked on the Sony website to see what the latest firmware is for that model of TV? Then check to see if your TV is up to date. There must be a way to get into the TV settings to check / update firmware. If you have not got the TV manual google the model number and you can probably find it (possibly on the Sony site). The e-manual may even be available on the TV itself.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I read somewhere that this problem can be caused by the time/date being wrong on the TV. Apparently changing the TV time/date setting from Broadcast to Network can fix it.

Just confirming this is still an issue in 2020! I tried loads of things but in the end the date/time was set to "Broadcast" and I changed this to "Network" and it changed to the correct date and time and then it was all sorted. 

The TV isn't an Android TV because it was made pre-2014 so I'm not sure if I CAN install firmware? Especially as the problem I'm having is to do with getting connected in the first place?

In terms of firmware update, you should be able to check the manufacturers website and download firmware. The TV can (usually) be updated by putting the firmware on a USB stick.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zack
Dabbler

I have had a look at the clock settings and right enough it is set to broadcast however there doesn't seem to be any option of changing it to network. With regards to the Firmware it is running with PKG4.O2OEUL-0103 which supposedly is internet streaming able. I have checked the sony feeds and I think that it should be compatible - my TV actually has an Auto-Update built in. I've asked the sony community if they have any ideas but so far they haven't been as forthcoming as you Plusnetters. In other words I'm no further forward than I was yesterday.🤷‍♂️
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

I've a similar Sony TV and although I can connect (via Plusnet although not using a Hub One) the internet connection is almost entirely useless !

The few useful things it did do have stopped working due to changes on the service provider side.

I have the optional USB WiFi dongle and that works fine. I've also used the Ethernet connection in the past.

As an alternative, if you have any Apple devices I can unreservedly recommend the Apple TV box.

I've no interest in their content but as a screen mirroring device it's excellent.

I've the Apple TV 3 (which I got second hand a year ago for about £50 from CEX). It was a bit of an experiment, if I knew then what I know now I would get the Apple TV 4 (and I may well upgrade shortly) but the 3 has been well worth the money I paid for it.

A good overview of the various generations at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV

If you are more Android then there are various Android based devices which do similar stuff. I can't advise on them however.

I am the satisfied customer....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Zack  is the time/date actually correct on the TV ?

There also appears to be later firmware PKG4.131EUL-0108 available

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-legacy-lcd-tv/kdl-32ex503/downloads/Z0000279

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Zack
Dabbler

The time and date seems to be working fine.
I'll have to buy a new USB before I can download the update. I'll let you know if It helps.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Zack 

I have a similarly aged TV. I can connect that but finding that presumably because it's an early implemation of a Smarthub it is very slow. My solution was to buy an Amazon Fire stick and plug that into a HDMI socket. Even if you don't pay to use the Prime goodies all the free stuff that the TV should have are present. I suspect that there will also be newer Apps that the old TV Smarthub processor does not have available. I imagine that there are other similar devices available. Avoid casting devices, these are a pain to use.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Zack
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1,
Assuming that I followed your advice to buy an Amazon Fire sticke etc. would that then work in conjunction with my Plusnet Hub 1, or would it replace it? I don't know enough about technology to understand what an Amazon Fire stick is in all honesty.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Yiu just connect it wirelessly to your hub one in exactly the same way as with the TV. You then select the HDMI input with the TV remote then use the Fire remote. There’s no ‘etc’ required.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'