Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access USB drive on Hub One when connected to wifi repeater SSID

FIXED
mameha1977
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can't access USB drive on Hub One when connected to wifi repeater SSID

I have recently got the Hub One router and I have a USB memory plugged in and using it as a NAS and it works great.

I have an android device in a far corner of the house that can't connect to the plusnet router by wifi.  So I had to buy a wifi repeater in order to get internet access, and this works fine.

However, when connected to the wifi repeater SSID, I am unable to access the USB memory on the Plusnet router.

The error message is along the lines of 'device is ready but refusing to accept connections'

When connected to plusnet SSID, IP range is 192.168.1.x

When connected to wifi repeater SSID, IP range is 192.168.8.x

Any ideas how to get this working?  I feel it is somehow related to the different ip range...

14 REPLIES 14
C1Rider
Grafter

Re: Can't access USB drive on Hub One when connected to wifi repeater SSID

Hello,

Difficult to say what's not right, perhaps a look at this will give you some guidance on setting up ?

< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOkiKDUr37s >

mameha1977
Dabbler

Fix

I managed to get it working.

When connected to the wifi repeater SSID, I noticed I could ping the plusnet router.  So I realised the problem was related to login credentials.

When you are on the plusnet SSID, it doesnt seem to need login to access the USB.  

But when you are on the wifi repeater SSID, it needs login.  And I was not being given any prompt to input username/password.  So the solution is to provide username/pass when trying to access the USB.

On windows device, open credentials manager and create a new windows credential for the plusnet router ip (192.168.1.254) with the admin username/password.  I could then connect to the USB from Windows Explorer using 192.168.1.254/usb1 as the path

On Android Device, you can probably connect via a file manager app.  I was using Kodi, as I wanted to watch videos on the NAS usb, so I was able to set up a connection from Kodi via Video -> Add Videos -> Browse -> Add Network Connection -> Windows Fileshare NFS -> then input the IP, directory and login to connect.

It works great, the speed is fast enough to stream 1080p from the plusnet router to kodi on the android device on the wifi extender ssid.

zwitterelf
Rising Star

Make sure the drive is formatted in FAT 32, i don't think it would work in NTFS or HFS format. Have not tried in exFAT.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Hub One supports NTFS as well as FAT16/FAT32.
zwitterelf
Rising Star

Thank you, I tried it in NTFS and it works also. 

mameha1977
Dabbler

Confirmed exFAT does not work but NTFS does work.

I know wish to know if there is a limit on the USB drive size, some other threads suggest a limit of 500GB but one user said they got a 2TB external HDD (via usb) to work.

Has anyone got anything over 500GB to work or should I buy a 500GB one.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I just wanted to revisit this thread to confirm that my 2TB NTFS USB drive works flawlessly when connected to the Hub One. I couldn't access it via the IP address in Windows 10 though so I connected via the following in windows explorer:

\\Pnhub1\usb1

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Salmonade

Thanks - this is just what I needed to know before investing in a large drive for my media.

Can you also tell me if your drive is USB3 or USB2 please? 

My old router only accepted USB2 so I couldn't use it with my USB3 media drive. 

Thanks very much!

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

My HDD is only a USB 2 drive. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B003IPC21Y

I would hope that a USB 3 drive would work but I can't confirm that...

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

mameha1977
Dabbler

I seem to remember reading that USB3 is not supported.  It will probbaly work, but at USB2 speed, so you might as well buy a cheaper USB2 one.  

Drives that have their own power supply are better because large drives need more power than the home hub can provide by usb.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Salmonade

Personally, if I were going to buy a drive I would look at one of the cheaper NAS devices rather than buying a USB drive and plugging it in to your Hub One.

I am the satisfied customer....
Salmonade

Thanks for the reply and link. I've got a few smaller WD drives that have been very reliable. 

Salmonade

Yes - I'd have expected USB3 not, not to work... just to work at USB2 speed. But my older TalkTalk router seemed not to play with USB3; at least, that's what I assume the important difference was.

Thanks for the reply

Salmonade

Good news: Just remembered that I have an old 512 GiB HDD that lives in a USB3 caddy. This is visible on my computer when plugged into the back of my PlusNet router.