cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone recommend a modem or router you can put in modem only mode to connect to plusnet?

FIXED
dan1618

Can someone recommend a modem or router you can put in modem only mode to connect to plusnet?

I have a Netgear R7000 running dd-wrt.

I thought I could put the "Hub One" router into modem only mode, but this looks like it is not possible.

I connect through the phone line using a micro-filter into the grey socket on the "Hub One" router.

Can anyone recommend a cheap router I can put into modem only mode or a cheap modem I can connect to Plusnet and then feed into my Netgear R7000?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

7 REPLIES 7
dan1618

Re: Can someone recommend a modem or router you can put in modem only mode to connect to plusnet?

Phone up Plusnet and the guy on the phone was very helpful.

Told I need a VDSL modem or router I can put in VDSL modem mode only.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Can someone recommend a modem or router you can put in modem only mode to connect to plusnet?

Fix

TP-LINK TD-W9970

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882  

How to setup TD-W9970 Router in Modem Only Mode?

http://uk.tp-link.com/faq-1332.html

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You can run the two devices you already have, just let the Hub One do the authenticating, and plug the WAN port into a LAN port of the Hub One. The Netgear will realise there is a clash of IP addresses, and switch to another range, or if you want you can chane on the Hun One.

Unless you have some specific issues this will work, however there is a "feature" called double natting, which can affect some applications.

The cheapest Modem, would the BT Openreach HG612, available quite cheaply on well known auction websites.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't think that the PlusNet guy was particularly helpful, he didn't suggest any brand or model of modem/router. I'm assuming you have a FTTC connection (VDSL2). I use a Huawei HG612 model 3B modem which was previously supplied by BT before combined VDSL modem routers were generally available. The modem can be unlocked with a simple firmware upgrade to allow access to the connection stats which can be very useful if you have line problems. The modems are available on a well known auction site but don't pay extra for an unlocked one.

dan1618

Thanks, Just ordered it.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Can I ask why?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I use a W9970 in modem mode and it's fine. I wanted to continue to use my Draytek 2830 when I changed to Fibre and so needed a VDSL modem. I did consider an HG612 but when I looked they were about £25 on ebay. For an extra fiver I could get the W9970 complete with a 3 year warranty!. According to kitz's review http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm it's modem performance is on a par with the HG612

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.