Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade Hub One?

FIXED
Ben1
Grafter

Can I upgrade Hub One?

I have a Hub One from the start of my contract about 5 years ago. Can I/should I upgrade it? (it’s surely getting a bit long in the tooth by now.) What about firmware upgrades? Do Plusnet do them automatically?

Many thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Can I upgrade Hub One?

Fix

@Ben1 

Despite its age the Hub One is still the device supplied for fibre connections. Firmware is automatically updated. If you log into to the Hub you can see the current version. An update is currently being rolled out. If you quote it here you will be advised if it needs updating.

If it’s currently working and not making a noise then rejoice and stick with it. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ben1
Grafter

Thank you for your helpful response.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Ben1 

If the Hub1 is doing it's job then there's no need to change. However, PlusNet have always been happy for customers to use their own equipment and supply the necessary settings in their Help pages.

The Hub1 is a re-badged BT HH5. Many buy a HH6 off eBay and use that if better equipment is required (how to do so is in a thread in the Router forum).

It is rumoured that PlusNet will be bring out a new router towards the end of the year - probably at the same time they start offering FTTP products. Until any official announcement it is just a rumour.

Brian

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@Ben1 

As bmc says, many of us have switched to the HH6. Baldrick may be too modest to say but elsewhere on this forum he has produced an excellent guide to setting up the HH6 on PN. The HH6 which I bought on Gumtree for £15 produced easily 20% better wifi.

Ben1
Grafter

Thank you both. As our router is working ok mostly I may wait to the end of the year and see if those rumours come true.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
T-squared
Hooked

Hi,

I read within this thread back in July this year, that there was rumour of +Net rolling out a newer router "towards the end of the year".

It is now mid Novenber and wondered if this rumour has or will become become fact?

I ask this as I am seriously considering dumping my Hub One for a BT Smart Hub 6.  But if +Net are due to dish out newer routers, I'll hang fire.  Any info, please?

Many thanks.

bmc
Hero

@T-squared 

The HubTwo is indeed in existance. It is a modified BT SmartHub2. See

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

However, it is only for Business customers at the moment. When released generally I would not expect them to be handed out willy nilly. New customers and those who re-contract will probably be first in line.

Brian

T-squared
Hooked

Many thanks Brian for your response.

You say "The HubTwo is indeed in existance. It is a modified BT SmartHub2"

So, on that basis I suppose I'll still be better off persuing my quest for a Smart Hub 6 which I assume is much better in performance that the Hub Two/Smart Hub2?  Yes?

My +Net contract terminates on December 1st and I am probably going to renew it.  Maybe I could negotiate a Hub Two as a bargaining tool?  (not holdi8ng breath on this, however ;-). )

Thank you again

T-squared
Hooked

... sorry, forgot to add:-

Is the proposed Hub Two any better in coverage than the Hub One?

TT

bmc
Hero

@T-squared 

I got confused previously with BT hubs.

You have the HH5 (which is basically what the PlusNet HubOne is), the HH6 which is also known as the SmartHub1 and the SmartHub2. Rumour has it the SmartHub3 is on the way (not that this concerns us).

You can see the specs of the HubTwo if you follow the link I gave previously and have a root around. As the SmartHub2 came after the HH6 and the HH5 one assumes it has better WiFi.

If they promise a new router as part of the re-contract make sure you get it in writing.

Brian