cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I swap the Plusnet Hub One for my TP-Link Archer VR900?

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Can I swap the Plusnet Hub One for my TP-Link Archer VR900?

I'm due to get plusnet fibre in  a few weeks but my network is configured with internal devices on specific fixed IPs and various parental controls already set in terms of which devices can connect and when.

As the VR900 is a vdsl ready router I'd rather use this unit that try to reconfigure the Hub One to mirror the work already done.

My question is, what do I need to know and/or do to get the relevant settings to set up the VR900 for FTTC service rather than using the supplied Hub One?

Many thanks for any tips...

Cheers

Ralph

Archer_VR900_un_V1_991_large_1_20150428180129.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Can I swap the Plusnet Hub One for my TP-Link Archer VR900?

Referring to the VR900 v1 and v2 emulator found here:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/emulators.html

Under the 'Basic' tab, go to 'Internet' menu and choose 'Plusnet VDSL' from the pull down 'ISP list'.

Then enter your full Plusnet username (eg. myusername@plusdsl.net) and corresponding password.

pn1.jpg

The only other setting to review is the MTU.  Ideally should be set to 1492 or lower when using PPPoE.  However, I can't find the setting in the emulator.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I tried to upgrade from my trusty W9980 (in an attempt to extend wifi coverage) to the VR900 all went well until it came to Plusnet TV - the VR900 will only put iptv on a second lan with a separate ip range. This was impractical for me so I have returned it.

Back to the trusty W9980 (which I can recommend).  The cheaper W9970 is also recommended by other users.

Regards

Mike

mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I made a note of my fixed ip's and re-entered them when I set up my w9980 - it is a pain but the only way to do it.

Regards

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@RalphAverbuch

It looks like the VR900 will be entirely suitable as a "one box" alternative to the Hub One.

You might be best to use the Hub One on changeover day to confirm that the "fibre" service is all working correctly and I would take a backup of your VR900 config just in case switching to VDSL from ADSL upsets anything (I can't see why it should but I'm cautious !) then set the VR900 and replace the Hub One.

It's a good idea to keep your Hub One just in case you have problems in the future as I believe that is the "officially supported" device.

I am the satisfied customer....