cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I log in to router externally using the public IP address?

cvz

Can I log in to router externally using the public IP address?

Hi, my ancient and venerable mother (91) had a very old router which (hadn't been replaced with a newer one as it should have been!) stopped working and had to be replaced.  I am very remote physically from my mother.

We are waiting for the router to be delivered.  Her helper can plug it in OK but I doubt her ability to setup to the 'old' SSID and password (we have a bunch of cameras and Echo Dots waiting to see the internet again by using the SSID they have already been set up with).

So - to my question as in the subject of this post - can I log in to the router externally by knowing its public IP address and set it up for my mum?  If so, how do I find the public-facing IP address?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Can I log in to router externally using the public IP address?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's risky to open a firewall pinhole to allow access from the WAN. Does your mother have a computer with wired connection, if so, you could use remote desktop software that doesn't require installation e.g. https://www.dwservice.net/ and access the router from remote desktop.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@bbpn What you suggest would only be possible if you knew the IP of the device to connect to and the firewall was configured to allow you access to a desktop. But as no one local has the skills to do this then it's plan B.

bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Mook wrote:

@bbpn What you suggest would only be possible if you knew the IP of the device to connect to and the firewall was configured to allow you access to a desktop. But as no one local has the skills to do this then it's plan B.

The remote desktop software I mentioned doesn't require those steps, the controlled computer only needs to download the client software, then run it, it'd generate 2 numbers (username and password) and display on the GUI, the controlling end only needs those 2 numbers to start the remote desktop session.

cvz

Thanks bbpn. No wired access to the router I'm afraid.  But thanks for your suggestion.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@cvz 

If you can get your hands on another Hub be it a BT , Plusnet or third party modem/ router you could set it up and put it in the post.unless you can find a competent neighbour to help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cvz

Thanks @Baldrick1. I think I’m going to have to find some local competence. Failing that, your idea of a pre-set router is good. I have a few. Thanks again.