cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I disable wifi and just use an ethernet connection with Hub 2?

FIXED
Yamenja
Hooked

Can I disable wifi and just use an ethernet connection with Hub 2?

Unbelievably (or not) Plusnet staff have completely misled me over this issue ( coincidentally I'm still within my 2 weeks option to cancel contract period). Sales team were clearly clueless and so I asked to talk to tech support, who ridiculously told me that all routers have a button on top that allows wifi to be disabled. There's an old post from 2016 that says one can log into the router remotely and switch the wifi off from there, and I have done this in the past with a previous isp, but as I'm about to move house and need to ensure Ive got a usable internet connection at the new place, Although I obviously need Plusnet staff to give me some clarity on the issue, it would be really helpful to hear from anyone here who is already using hub 2 with ethernet and no wifi, and how they have achieved that. 

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Can I disable wifi and just use an ethernet connection with Hub 2?

Fix

who ridiculously told me that all routers have a button on top that allows wifi to be disabled.

Some of the earlier routers did have a button but I dont believe the Hub 2 does.

It is certainly possible to disable the Wifi using the GUI though. I have been trialling the Hub 2 recently and have at times had cause to disable wifi. IIRC the procedure is :-

Open a browser and enter the IP address 192.168.1.254 to access the Hub Manager

Click on Wireless

Click Change settings

Enter the router admin password. The defaults are found on the back of the device

There are options to disable either or both the 2.4Ghz and 5ghz wifi bands

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Yamenja
Hooked

Thanks so much Mr W. Yes, my current router is old and has the button, which I prefer, but at least I now know I can still turn it off if I decide to continue with the Plusnet contract. The disadvantage for those of us who have to use the online method of turning wifi off, and wish to keep it off,  is that occasional resets by the service provider mean it will resort to the default of being switched on, without any notification being given. What a shame that Plusnet were not able to tell me this when I first asked, and that their staff felt it was better to pretend to know than admit they don't, and to find someone who does. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Yamenja 

If you have a HubOne and turn off the WiFi I believe you get the Wireless warning symbol on the front of the hub. It's unmissable if the HubOne is in view.

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Your 14 days start from the day after you sign up, I suspect you are already beyond that.

You could also found out about the WiFi settings in the Help section at the top of the page.

Yamenja
Hooked

Wrong on both counts, Mustrum. I am within my 14 days, plus there is the right to opt out after that point if Plusnet dont fulfill their obligations, and when I tried the self-help support option the page was down - flagged as unavailable. It seems your level of help is about the same as Plusnet's own - i.e. no help at all. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The disadvantage for those of us who have to use the online method of turning wifi off, and wish to keep it off,  is that occasional resets by the service provider mean it will resort to the default of being switched on, without any notification being given

@Yamenja a normal reset or power off wont affect your settings including the wifi status, only a 'factory reset' will change it. During the trial , there were a number of remote resets for firmware updates but none of them altered my setting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Yamenja
Hooked

Thanks BMC, I have Hub2 though. 

Yamenja
Hooked

That's good to know, thank you, MisterW! This was not the case with my last but one ISP.