Can I connect DSL directly to modem

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Can I connect DSL directly to modem

@pint wrote:

Then you had DSL, or to be more precise A symmetric digital sub9scriber's line

To be even more precise it's actually asymmetric (i.e. all one word, not a symmetric, and could be argued to be the complete opposite of what you wrote).

Then you have VDSL this is misleadingly marketed as "Fibre" in the UK, 

Agreed.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Can I connect DSL directly to modem

Fix

@wedgehog wrote:

If you read the initial post at the top of the thread instead of jumping in on a comment you will see I have fiber and have had for many years, It just seemed stupid that I had the BT modem between the master socket and the Bipac when it had a DSL socket on it, but apparently it is not a DSL socket! despite a label on it saying it is, beats the hell out of me

DSL means Digital Subscriber Line. All forms of Internet communication is Digital.

ADSL means Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line. This means that the digital data upstream and downstream rates run at different speeds. This was introduced to meet the assumption that more data would be downloaded then uploaded, so this made the most of the available bandwidth.

Both what Plusnet call ADSL and Fibre are in fact delivered in the form of ADSL. To discriminate between what Plusnet call ADSL, which is supplied through a fibre link to your local telephone exchange then from there as a broadband signal to your Modem, where it is converted back into digital data and  and what they call fibre or FTTC, (Fibre To The Cabinet) iwhich s supplied with fibre up to a street cabinet, located nearer to your home than the telephone exchange has been named VDSL. As far as the cabling and connection outlets in the home are concerned the same caonnectors are used for both services. All modern modem/routers will work with both.

When 'broadband first came out only ADSL was available. Your combined modem/router was designed in that period, hence it only has an inbuilt ADSL modem. Whilst the router section is still usable the modem is obsolete and will only work with an ADSL connection.

I agree that it's all very confusing. It's because Plusnet and the rest of the industry try to talk up the service that they supply.

This brings me to a hobby horse of mine:

ADSL applies to both services. It should in my opinion be called FTTE (Fibre To The Exchange).

Fibre should be called FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet)

This lines up with the current generation FTTP (Fibre To The Premises).

Finally what Plusnet calls a router is NOT a router, it is a combined modem/router. Plusnet have named it a Hub, it should be referred to as a hub.

Then perhaps fewer would get confused!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'