Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect DSL directly to modem

FIXED
wedgehog
Hooked

Can I connect DSL directly to modem

Hi, I have a Billion Bipac 7800DXL Modem/Router with a DSL socket on the rear. Up to now I have been using the supplied BT modem where the DSL cable comes from the master socket into the BT modem and then a RJ45 lead goes to the Bipac. 7800

I thought well why can't I unplug the DSL lead from the BT modem and connect it directly to the DSL socket of the Bipac 7800DXL? I tried it and spent ages trying different settings but it just keeps saying "Your DSL line is not ready, please check the lead"
Does anyone know what's going on please?

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can I connect DSL directly to modem

The 7800s modem is only adsl compatible. For fibre(fttc) you need a vdsl2 compatible modem, hence you still need to use the BT modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wedgehog
Hooked

Thanks for your reply MisterW, I am certainly saying you are wrong, but why then has it got a rj45 mini socket labeled DSL on it then?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@wedgehog wrote:

... but why then has it got a rj45 mini socket labeled DSL on it then?

@wedgehog 

What's an RJ45 mini socket?  Huh Roll_eyes

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That will be an RJ11 socket to connect to an ADSL line.

A VDSL line uses the same connection type, but uses higher and more frequencies to get higher speeds. But as your router’s modem can only deal with ADSL.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wedgehog
Hooked

Ah yes sorry RJ11 socket, but as I say it is marked DSL not ADSL?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Mustrum wrote:

That will be an RJ11 socket to connect to an ADSL line.

I suspected that was what s/he was referring to @Mustrum Thumbs_Up

wedgehog
Hooked

Guess so, but as I say why has it got DSL written above it if it is ADSL? most confusing, so if the 7800DXL which cost a fortune can't do it without the BT modem can anyone recommend a good one that does, thing is though I need four Gigabit lan sockets

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@wedgehog 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-7800dxl

Quote "Please note that the 7800DXL incorporates a modem for conventional ADSL (and ADSL2+) broadband but does not incorporate a VDSL2 modem for fibre broadband. If you think you may want to upgrade to fibre broadband in the future, you may wish to consider the other choices discussed in our Which Broadband Modem Router? page."

wedgehog
Hooked

If you read the initial post at the top of the thread instead of jumping in on a comment you will see I have fiber and have had for many years, It just seemed stupid that I had the BT modem between the master socket and the Bipac when it had a DSL socket on it, but apparently it is not a DSL socket! despite a label on it saying it is, beats the hell out of me

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It’s not really that confusing, Billion like others will no doubt use the same box for a variety of routers, some ADSL some VDSL - saves them a bit of money - it may have been expensive some years ago, but it is pretty basic these days.

Other than 4Gig Lan ports, what else is important to you.

I have. a Netgear D7000 which does all I need at the moment, which has 4 gig ports, but so does the PN HUb1, or for not a lot of money many find a BT Hub6 works for them.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@wedgehog   How do you define DSL?

In the case of this particular device it appears to be limited to flavours of ADSL, but NOT VDSL, which is what FTTC is, or fiber (fibre) as you call it.

It will probably work fine with a modem plugged into the Gigabit Ethernet WAN port.

wedgehog
Hooked

The gigabit lan is most important as I have two NAS cases and five PC's around the place, everything is cat 6 connected, I only use wireless for things I have no choice on, like the phone and the kindle and the pad,  I like the Billion Bipac series and have had several of their routers over the years and they never let me down, but I can't see a vdsl2 one with four or more gigabit ports

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

From my basic understanding, DSL refers to internet over copper cables that uses a higher frequency than voice

Dial up used the same frequencys as voice - you could hear the beeps and noises from the modem on your line, and as a result you  couldnt use the phone line for calls when online

Then you had DSL, or to be more precise A symmetric digital sub9scriber's line this opertes at a highe frequency so you can not hear it n your line, and as a result you can make phone calls at the same time, plus at a higher frequency you could get more data down the line.

Some of these early ADSL modems ( ie the speedtouch "frog") were incompatible with the latter ADSL2+ , however ADSL2+ modems were often backwards compatible with ADSL.

Then you have VDSL this is misleadingly marketed as "Fibre" in the UK, and ISPs such as plusnet get away with this deceit with it as fibre optic cables are involved somewhere in the chain  (using the same logic, dial up could be marketed as fibre as long as fibre optic links are somewhere in the chain)

With the exception of dial up, all are DSL.

And of course you have Fibre, instead of copper cables fibre is supplied to your property using fibre optic cables, (which is something that plusnet do not yet offer ) for this you will need a little box called an optical network termination  (ONT) into which a fibre optic cable goes in, and you get Ethernet out which then goes to a router.

some routers are now appearing with built-in ONTs  making it possible to have a one box solution.

A Router in ISP sense being a device that incorporates a modem, a router a firewall, and wireless access point.

and thats my undersanding