cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing noise from router

rmobberley

Buzzing noise from router

Hello,

Just switched over from Plusnet broadband to Fibre, had the service for about three weeks and the router is making a constant high pitched buzzing noise.

Do i have a faulty router???

Connection is fine, just making this annoying noise.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Buzzing noise from router

Hi @rmobberley and welcome to the Community Forums.
We are aware of the buzzing issue that can happen with some Hub One router when the 5GHz frequency is being fully utilised. The good news is there's a fairly straight forwards remedy in splitting apart the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies and only using the standard 2.4GHz wireless which should stop the buzzing moving forwards. Steps on how to do so can be found below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4GHz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Let us know how it goes and if this stops the buzzing.

rmobberley

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i have followed the steps below.

Unfortunately the router is still buzzing.

The orange light at the base is on to show the 5ghz is disconnected

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks for letting us know @rmobberley

I'll let @BD know when he gets in. Once we've had a bit of a tête-à-tête one of us will