Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business smart hub 6 guest wifi

FIXED
KevinW
Hooked

Business smart hub 6 guest wifi

About a month ago I bought this router as the Plusnet one kept dropping the broadband connection. In that respect it has worked brilliantly, never drops the connection and wifi is much improved, especially stability.

However, one thing I was looking forward to was to have some kind of guest channel. I looked at this and actually set it up soon after installing the router, but today I noticed it isn't there any more. I have done a load of research, and haven't really found the answer. The nearest I have got is post 31 on this page: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance - Page 3 - Plusnet Community, which shows the situation I have, and post 28 on the previous page that is how it is apparently meant to look. But I can't find any solution being found.

A few years after that post, do we have any more insights into this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Business smart hub 6 guest wifi

I can still see the option for guest wifi in my business version.
firmware version SG4B1B0092DE
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KevinW
Hooked

My firmware is also SG4B1B0092DE. That is even stranger then. And you see that under Home > Status right?

KevinW
Hooked

Just in case I am missing something really obvious, here is a screenshot of my status page:

Screenshot 2021-04-09 102511.jpg

KevinW
Hooked

OK, I think I have solved it. I found a link to public wifi, but not on the Status page, where all the instructions say it should be. Having switched it on, it still doesn't appear on the Status page, but at least I know how to do it now.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Fix
Doesn't appear on status page - but is on the home page.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KevinW
Hooked

Right. So I guess that is the answer to my original question. Somewhere along the line this setting has been moved from the status page to a button on the home page. Hopefully that will help some others. Thanks for your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@KevinW 

Are you aware that the Business Smarthub Guest channel is completely open, that is, it is not password protected? This is intended for use in Pubs, Cafes etc and anyone within wireless range can use your service for free.

Hence the advice to turn it off.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KevinW
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Thanks for the comment. Yes I am. I would literally only be using it for guests, so I won't have it switched on all the time, but also I live in a country road, none of my neighbours have any need for my broadband and I would be highly suspicious of any people or cars hanging around for long enough to use it. I also know pretty much exactly where the signal from our house disappears outside.

Also, as I understand it, it is completely fenced off from the rest of the broadband use and a limit applied to how much of the broadband it can take up. Also, I believe I read that there is an automatic filter on what can be accessed so that it shouldn't be possible for people to access dodgy sites through my IP address. 

If any of that last paragraph is wrong, please correct me, as that wasn't what I was focussed on in my search. Password protection would have been ideal, but ISP-provided routers seem to have been going backwards in this respect. I had this in a router from my ISP about three companies ago, but since then, nothing.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@KevinW wrote:

Also, as I understand it, it is completely fenced off from the rest of the broadband use and a limit applied to how much of the broadband it can take up. Also, I believe I read that there is an automatic filter on what can be accessed so that it shouldn't be possible for people to access dodgy sites through my IP address. 

I am not sure that this is the case. I'm guessing that access to dodgy sites depends on how your Plusnet Safeguard is set up in your account .

Remember that you are using it on a Plusnet account, not a BT Business one. Also, are you confusing this feature with the piggy back service offered to BT retail customers, which is totally different?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KevinW
Hooked

From what I read, it is the router itself that controls the access. No, I am not confusing them, but may have mis-remembered. On the other hand, it is logical to think it is all based on the same underlying system. After all, whether I am using the BT wifi or guest wifi in my business, I don't want people accessing dodgy sites through my account.

I will do a bit more research, but, given the location situation I am in, I am not that worried about it.