cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Smarthub 6 and DNS Settings

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Business Smarthub 6 and DNS Settings

When I first installed my Business Hub I had the option to select my own DNS settings. I have noticed that since the firmware updated (I am now on SG4B1B008102), the option has disappeared and I am locked onto Plusnet's own DNS servers. Whilst I can set most individual devices locally I thought I would try Quad 9 as the default, but apparently no longer can.

Are other Business Smart Hub 6 users similarly locked out?

Edit

I have just found the option to set the IP address in Advanced Settings\My Network\IPv4 settings. This is correct but the basic status page still shows the Plusnet default. How do I find which DNS server is actually being used?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

3 REPLIES 3
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Business Smarthub 6 and DNS Settings

Hi @Baldrick1,

I am currently testing a BT Smart Business Hub 6 for a customer.

I have changed the DNS servers to Google and OpenDNS on the same firmware version as you.

It would appear that the DNS servers are still the Plusnet ones.

However, on doing an ipconfig/all check the DNS servers listed are Google and Open DNS.

So, it would appear that I am not using the Plusnet ones! Go figure.

On several BT forums, it states that the DNS servers are locked to BT/Plusnet. (But not according to my ipconfig/all check!)

What DNS servers does it say you are using when you do an ipconfig/all check?

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

HI @Bsldrick,

Strike out the bits about ipconfig/all - just realised that i have my IPv4 set to these on my laptop!! Apologies/

It would appear that the Business Hub is locked to BT/Plusnet's DNS Servers. Unless someone knows any different!!??!!

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@ckcomputing

Thanks for the ipconfig/all tip. This is what I sought. Now the good news:

I have found that the Plusnet default DNS servers on the first status page are ignored if you set different addresses in the advanced IPv4 options page. The only thing that can cause confusion is that the DNS servers are only read during boot up, so if you change the DNS servers in the router advanced settings they are only used after a reboot of connected devices (on Win 10 computers anyway, I don't know about other devices)..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'