cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo router

asyms
Hooked

Buffalo router

I am on Plusnet Fiber and have the supplied Openreach box and a Sagemcom router.  I am finding the Plusnet supplied router is now a bit 'flaky' and not reaching to all parts of our house.  I have a Buffalo Airstation WBMR - HP - G300H modem/router from a previous ISP setup.  Problem is that when I connect to the Openreach Fiber box it throws up an error that it's not connected to the internet.  This happens whether I use a wireless connection or a hard connection.  Does this mean I can't use the Buffalo unit at all or am I just being thick?

9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Buffalo router

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

From what I can see, the Buffalo Airstation G300H does not have a WAN ethernet port and therefore can't be used in conjunction with the BT modem. It's internal modem is only ADSL compatible and therefore it cant be connected directly to the phone line either.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

asyms
Hooked

Hi MisterW, that's what I thought but good to have it confirmed.  I'm very much a dimwit when it comes to connecting to the internet!  Bought the Airstation some years ago so can now probably throw it out and look for something else; it's only money after all...

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

There's one on eBay for £30 plus :

eBay item number:

You could try plugging an ethernet cable from one of the Plusnet router ethernet into one of the yellow Lan ports on the buffalo.
That should get you internet on the buffalo wireless. If it works, turn off the wireless on the plusnet router.

Failing that flog it on Ebay -- 🙂

asyms
Hooked

From looking around this forum, people seem to be suggesting that a BT Hub 6 is a good solution to my existing two box setup.  How much of a difference is there between the BT Home Hub 6 and its Business equivalent?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@asyms 

There are more setting options on the Business versions. For example you can set your own choice of global DNS servers, rather than be forced to use the Plusnet ones.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

asyms
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1, I've bought a BT Hub 6 from ebay, now I just need to set it up which according to the instructions with it seems quite easy - my experience of life tells me that this might not be the case!😣

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@asyms 

Do the instructions look like this?  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Be aware tht some versions of firmware do not like special characters in the Plusnet password so if you have problems connecting then change your password to alpha numeric ones. Ignore any comments regarding using a special one. Also make sure that the DSL cable is disconnected whilst you enter your Plusnet credentials. Let us know if you have problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

asyms
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1, excellent instructions, I found them on another thread and printed them out.  Needless to say you are a star!  I followed them carefully and I've now got this wonderful blue light from the SmartHub 6.😀

Thanks again and have a great Christmas, or as great as you can have under the present circumstances.  Graham