Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt smart hub 2 and complete wifi disc on plusnet

FIXED
jezwelshmon
Hooked

Bt smart hub 2 and complete wifi disc on plusnet

Hi, I've bought a bt smart hub 2 from eBay and set it up etc and it's working well but was just wondering if anyone had successfully linked a complete (black) wifi disc up to the router on plusnet.
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Bt smart hub 2 and complete wifi disc on plusnet

Fix

It will work fine, although you'll have to rely on WPS or the Smarthub 2 web interface to pair the disc because you'll not be able to use the BT app.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

What's a 'black disc'? Aren't discs inert?

jezwelshmon
Hooked

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that - a so-called disc is a wifi extender then; a bit expensive for that! Not a Plusnet product either.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

that's over simplyfing it, an extender is more of a repeater.
These are WAP that build a mesh network. It's like whole home wifi built in to the router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gallivant
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can you point me to how and what I should do to replace my Plusnet Router with a BT Smart Hub 2 router? Thanks

jezwelshmon
Hooked

I bought the bt smart hub 2 on eBay, they were going for about 40 quid at the time, it's then just a case of plugging it in then login to router and putting your plusnet username followed by @plusdsl.net and your password and you're good to go.
OldEngineer
Grafter

I followed this Thread and got myself a Smart Hub 2 and a single Disc. This is working superbly in the house.

But I have a summer house at the bottom of the garden which is built too well. It has a foil lining and I just can't get WiFi inside. On the surrounding deck it's almost a perfect wifi signal. I therefore bought a TP WPA 4220 PowerLine Kit which has one small unit connected to the router and two wifi transmitters plugged in, one of which is in the summer house. This works very well.

But I'm unsure how the two systems co-exist. can I change the SSID and password to mirror the Mesh?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@OldEngineer wrote:

But I'm unsure how the two systems co-exist. can I change the SSID and password to mirror the Mesh?

You can give it a try.

I doubt things will work seamlessly though i.e. there would be a physical disconnect as you hopped from the mesh to the Powerline extender.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

OldEngineer
Grafter

If I give them the same SSID presumably there would be some interference on the wifi channels. But if I use a third device in the garage I know that the garden would see both networks (Mesh & 4220)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@OldEngineer wrote:

If I give them the same SSID presumably there would be some interference on the wifi channels. But if I use a third device in the garage I know that the garden would see both networks (Mesh & 4220)

You might find that the shielding is so good that interference is not a problem.

If you use different SSIDs, depending on the comparative signal levels your devices might automatically connect to the strongest. If not you would have to reconnect the device to the best, which is easy enough.

You just need to try both options.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'