cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Router

HenryLaws

Broken Router

Hello Plusnet Community!

My Internet has been down for a month, I have done every one of the tips on the Router Help list and a few days ago I took the Router to my local Computer Shop who told me it was broken as apparently there had been a surge in our local area and alot of routers were broken. 

I have been unable to contact Plusnet via phone or online and am just here asking for a replacement Router please. 

Thank you,

H.

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Broken Router

Welcome to the forums, @HenryLaws . Unfortunatey, damage caused by external activity such as you describe is not covered by any guarantee offered by Plusnet. If you need a new router, I'm afraid you will have to purchase your own.

How long have you got left on your current contract? If you are close to the end, it may be an idea to see what deal you can get for a new contract, and request a new router at the same time.

John
HenryLaws

Thanks John, oh I would happily pay for a new one from Plusnet, if they do not provide this service do you have a simple/easy to set up Router to recommend? I am not Technologically minded so I find things like this confusing! 

Regarding the contract I believe I have a few months left so wouldn't really want to pay the extra to cancel! But if so, where do I find out this information, seeing as I cannot get in touch with Plusnet.

H.

jab1
Legend

@HenryLaws If you still have a few months left, then re-contracting is not really an option. As you obviously need to obtain your own in this case, I would suggest you get the BT HomeHub 6 - they are available on eBay at a reasonable price, are better than the PN offering and set-up instructions are available on the 'My Router' board on this forum.

The price of a replacement PN router is prohibitive, btw.

I assume your last question is about the remaining time on your contract? This is available on the dashboard in 'My Account' - just log in to your account and it is on the right-hand side.

John
HenryLaws

You're a STAR mate, just looking at a BT HomeHub 6 on Amazon and it says it is "locked to BT" would that matter as I hear Plusnet comes under BT?

I will look into my contract with Plusnet now. Thank you for your help.

H.

jab1
Legend

I sugest you look on eBay - the ones on there are not locked and are cheaper. You do have to do a bit of 'manual adjustment' to them, but as I said, clear instructions are available on this forum, and that board is patrolled by some expert users.

Plusnet does come under BT, but is a separate ISP and the router settings are different.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@HenryLaws 

BT Smarthub 6's are not 'locked' to BT. They also work on Plusnet. As @jab1 says, you will do much better on an auction site where you can pick one up for about £20 or less. They work on both ADSL and Fibre. They are better devices than Plusnet's offerings and many of us use them. Setting instructions are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HenryLaws

Thank you both, I have ordered a new Smarthub 6, arriving tomorrow, I shall let you know if a new Router solves the problem.

I also ended up talking to Customer Services and he actually advised doing that as the fault he could see his end corresponded to broken equipment my end ie. Router.

H.