cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband or Router issue (Re: Technicolor 582n: Power light red)

UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Broadband or Router issue (Re: Technicolor 582n: Power light red)

Ive been having, what appear to be, internet dropouts recently. No red lights on the router though.

Then all of a sudden for 10 mins the power light only was red and no other lights were on.

I power cycled to no avail.

Then I power cycled again leaving it off a bit longer this time and its burst back into life and everything is working as normal.

Do you think that my router is a bit dicky and on its way out?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) split topic from an old unrelated thread.

21 REPLIES 21
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Technicolor 582n: Power light red

Moderator's note:

Moved to its own thread from a three-year-old thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

UncleZen
Rising Star

Re: Broadband or Router issue (Re: Technicolor 582n: Power light red)

Quick update.

I'm using Net Uptime Montitor to montor the outages. so far tonight Ive had 4 outages. When it goes, all the lights go out (except power) and the router has to resync wich takes at least 2m20 so thats the minumum outage Ive had, plus 2 others of 6m40 and 5m55. On 2 occassions I was requesting data from a wireless device and the outage happened almost at the same time. On the other 2 occassions I wasnt next to the router so I couldnt tell.

So far Ive not had another red power light (which I understand to be a failed power up self test)

My next steps are to eliminate all wiring and repeat the test back at the master socket, when I next get the chance,

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Only way to confirm if your router is faulty, is to substitute it with another router. 

Plusnet can provide one for free (plus P&P) if you telephone their Customer Options team, but it will require recontracting.

Alternatively, you can buy your own router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

eBay will have loads of them I'd imagine.

To save re-contracting I would pick up a cheapo replacement from there.

UncleZen
Rising Star

Obviously there are practical issues to elimiate the router, not having another router with which to eliminate it with. In the dim and distant past I did have a linksys router, but that went wrong and was replaced by the PN 582n.

So, from observations, it appears that when it goes wrong, ALL the lights go out, then the power comes on followed by ethernet, blinking broadband during sync then steady broadband, then data. Then for some odd reason the wireless devices such as phones and tables have trouble re-establishing a connection.

These symptoms, to me, point to a dodgy router. If it was, say, a dodgy microfilter or connectivity issue, I would expect the ethernet to remain working.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If the power light is going out on the router it is either the router or the electrical supply to it that is faulty. If it was the microfilter then the power light would stay on but you would lose both wireless and Ethernet data. 

I suggest that you go on to Ebay and buy a cheap replacement. The cheapest option is to buy a Plusnet Hub One, BT Home Hub 5A or 5B or for a little more money and much better performance a BT Smart Hub 6A. You will find information on how to set any of these up on this forum. If you're considering a Smart Hub then see my posting on Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance on this forum to make sure you get the right version

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

edt70
Hooked

but please be aware if you do request or plusnet offer a new router, while they will tell you one has been ordered it generally takes around 3 attempts before they actually do send a new one out, as has happened to me more than once with plusnet, currently was told that a router was sent out before christmas, which it clearly was not and so one my 2nd attempt to get them to actually do it

while their prices may be OK, as for fixing things they take their time, not what the adverts promise

UncleZen
Rising Star

May I ask, if I asked PN to send me a new router, would they send me a new 582n or something else?

Do they offer any routers with a 1000mbs hub? Or are they all 10/100?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you're on standard broadband it will probably be a Hub Zero. In my opinion these things are not worth the P&P charge. They are single band wireless and 100Mbps Ethernet. If you can get a Hub One out of them for the cost of P&P then that's OK. It has dual band WiFi and 1G Ethernet. However it is normally only given to fibre  customers.

My advice is to get a BT Smart Hub 6 from Ebay for £30-40 - see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1504366#M5170. This is two generations more advanced than the Hub One, which is a BT Home Hub 5A in a different coloured case and tweeked firmware.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It appears you're on an ADSL service. Out of interest is fibre available (even if you're happy with your current setup)?

Brian

UncleZen
Rising Star

Well according to uswitch, fibre is available down our street.

Last time I looked, 2 years back, it wasn't, and no one has dug up the street (thank God), so maybe its FTTC?

TBH, the ADSL speeds I get are fine for our usage (when the routers working that is!)

bmc
Hero

If you put your phone number in the following it'll tell you what's available and expected speeds. Post a screen image if you need any explanation.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

UncleZen
Rising Star

Last night the router finally expired. All lights went out and never came back on again. Even unplugging and plugging in again makes no difference. So had to call support and get a new router posted out, also recontacted for 2 years. New amount less than current amount.

Currently tethered to my mobile for internet access. 

bmc
Hero

Happy to hear you're sorted.

Out of curiosity I would still be interested to know what the fibre option shown is when you use the DSL checker.

Brian