cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband light flashing. Resolution process frustrating.

ecrose1
Hooked

Broadband light flashing. Resolution process frustrating.

I've just moved into a flat and ordered Plusnet internet. The previous tenants had a Sky router installed and it was working fine, but we felt we should get our own internet and find the best deal etc. So, as soon as Plusnet message me to inform me that the phoneline has been switched over, the internet goes down on the router -- which I thought was understandable, given a new provider was now in place. 

I followed all the instructions that came with the router and installed it after being informed my broadband was now 'operational' -- but it wasn't. The router's broadband light never stopped flashing and my housemate and I could not get a signal on any device. I tried all the troubleshooting fixes and eventually called Plusnet support. 

I was told it was an external issue with BT (funny because the Sky router worked just fine until Plusnet switched the lines) and they would need to send an engineer. I was told I would NOT need to be at home for this to happen and they'd fix it remotely. I get call from the engineer the next morning, while I'm at work, asking me where I live and telling me he needs access to the property. When I told him Plusnet told me I wouldn't need to be in, he sighed and said "They always say that." He suggested that I rearrange and get a weekend appointment so I can be at home for the engineer visit. 

I called again last night, went through all the steps all over again, and have basically now been told that there are no weekend appointments, I'll have to book a day off work and possibly pay £65 in order for BT to fix something that Plusnet have evidently broken. It's beyond a joke. The internet has not been active for even single second since I've been told my 'broadband is operational'. 

What am I supposed to do now? If I change providers and wait another month for a router, the actual problem is something I'll probably need BT to come and fix anyway so I'll be in the same position. 

8 REPLIES 8
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband light flashing. Resolution process frustrating.

You have 14 days to cancel and go back to Sky.

ecrose1
Hooked

Yeah, but the Sky account was with the previous tenants and I have no idea who they are. Also, now that Plusnet have changed the lines, who is to say the fault won't persist anyway?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @ecrose1,

I've had a look at your account and I'm afraid there is an external fault on the line that's causing a connection problem. These kind of external faults don't normally require the engineer to visit the premises, but there are some situations where they may need access just to make sure they've either been able to fix the problem, or in situations where the faults has actually been located close to, or at wiring up to the premises. 

I've just gone through Openreach's appointment book and there are no weekend appointments currently showing from now until at least January - although these don't normally get freed up until the week in question. There are some early morning slots showing as available (these are between 7am and 8am) the next one being Wednesday coming up, if that was doable? If you can please update this ticket we'd be happy to get something arranged.

ecrose1
Hooked

Hi,

Yeah an early morning appointment would be fine. Wednesday works for me, what should I write on the ticket?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us.

You'd just respond saying that the early morning appointment, availability of which was confirmed by one of the Social Media Team, is the best one for you.

Let us know here once you've responded and we'll get it sorted for you.

ecrose1
Hooked

Hi, 

Thanks for letting me know. I've responded on the ticket, hopefully the slot is still available. 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ecrose1

Thanks for updating the ticket - the original fault that we raised for you has unfortunately been closed due to the time that has elapsed in the interim.

I've re-raised this to our suppliers and will attempt to secure the slot that you've discussed with Joe as soon as I'm able to specify this on your behalf. We'll keep you updated here either way.

Thanks

Dave

ecrose1
Hooked

Thanks for your help, Dave. I'll keep my eyes on the thread