Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block a port on Hub One

FIXED
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Block a port on Hub One

Is there a way to block port 6881 on my Hub One?  I have a QNAP NAS which I believe to be the culprit (I don't use bittorrent and it should not be happening).  I've tried disabling the recommended things on the QNAP but it's still happening.  So now I'd like to brute-force stop the access without having to actually throw my QNAP into the trash can.

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Block a port on Hub One

Seems this is an issue with the QNAP NAS looking at the google search results.
You can turn off UPnP in the router to prevent it - or turn on the broadband firewall in the PN portal.
But this may have other impacts depending on what you use your connection for.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I use uPnP occasionally for setting up cameras so disabling that wouldn't be my first choice.  Not sure what you mean by turning on firewall in the portal - is that something that happens at the PlusNet service end?   We do operate a server so would need some incoming connections on certain ports.   Yes I agree the QNAP is known for this problem.  But reluctant to throw out, since in theory any of them could start doing it, that's why I thought ability to block specific ports on the router would be a nice solution Smiley

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @IngeJones 

This might work, you could try setting up a port forwarding rule for port 6881 on the Hub One to a non existing device on your network, to achieve this you'd need to define an IP address in port forwarding rule

port-6881

This assumes 192.168.1.50 does not exist on you network.

Dan.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

It would stop them getting through to the QNAP but on the other hand it would advertise that the port exists, so the router would still be busied with access applications.  I don't think there would be a net gain.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I've got the QNAP turned off now, but still the Hub One opens connections on that port.  It's definitely not in our list of port forwarding.  Does the router keep a secret  list of ports that have been opened by devices on the network?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@IngeJones 

Try a factory reset on the hub.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

They've stopped finally.  I guess I need to find a better NAS Sad

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Fix

@IngeJones 

but on the other hand it would advertise that the port exists

Are not devices already attempting/connecting to port 6881?  But I get your point. 

You can use a 3rd party modem/router if you want which no doubt will be more configurable, might be a cheaper option than replacing the NAS drive.

Dan.