cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Non Plusnet Router?

doubletake

Best Non Plusnet Router?

Hi

I need to upgrade my router. All the new plusnet ones I have come across have less then positive reviews and just don't seem quick enough.

What would be the best router to get that would work with plusnet? The below looks good...

TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps WirelessScreen Shot 2016-09-10 at 14.09.07.png

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Best Non Plusnet Router?

@doubletake

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you look at the kitz website for a list of all in one FTTC modem/routers http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html  (as I'm assumimg you are using FTTC)

Kitz is a Plusnet subscriber and the discussions there maybe of help to you.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
doubletake

Thank you for this.

I don't know what FTTC means? I just want a fast router that will work with Plusnet. Im not sure if all that list will work?

SpendLessTime
Hero

What is the name of the broadband product you buy from Plusnet? From that one should be able to tell if you are on ADSL or FTTC (sometimes called fibre)

Also do you buy TV from Plusnet as that can change what you need to buy too.

You can find the name of the product you buy at https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary  (login required)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

The router you show is a very basic one, costs about £30 and is likely to be no better than the PN one, in fact the Hub One has much higher Wireless speeds.

doubletake

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 15.42.42.png

That is what I have. I don't have fibre broadband as far as I know...Which router would you recommend? I have about 5 machines wirelessly linked to the router at all times but am finding the one I am using too slow.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@doubletake

The Unlimited Business Broadband shows as ADSL on the https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

Is the speed issue actually the modem/router you are using or down to the quality of the line you are on? 

Unfortunately I no longer use ADSL so cannot personally recommend a specific device.

A look at http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wifi-routers/adsl-wifi-routers/ will show the price range.

The kitz forum is a good source for info  on good ADSL equipment with threads like "Recommend me an ADSL router for long line" http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18198.0.html

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@doubletake

If you are on ADSL, unless you have a specific requirement which the Plusnet router is poor at then I'm not sure what a router upgrade will do for you.

Generally I've had a few TP Link items and they have all been excellent value for money but I currently have a Draytek router as I wanted the feature set it has. If I bought another router I would be highly tempted to pay the premium cost of the Draytek 28XX series.

I've found that if the upstream element of the ADSL gets busy then performance seems very poor but that is a line speed problem not a router problem (in general).

Rather than buying a new router, upgrading to fibre might be a better way of getting better performance. You will probably get the Plusnet Hub One as part of that process.

There is currently an offer on the Unlimited Fibre which you might be offered by the retentions department if you ask.

I am the satisfied customer....
mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I agree with Mark have had several TPlink routers both ADSL ( non fibre) and VDSL (fibre) 

currently using a w9980 which is cabable of both - useful if you wish to upgrade in future 

Regards Mike

Welshdragon
Rising Star

I have just invested in the TP-Link TD-W9970 Dual ADSL / VDSL. (Between £35 & £40) online, It has some great reviews.

It has been running for three days, with no errors (Pkts) on a ADSL line

My connection is more stable & I have also gained approx 2.5Mb download speed,

The wireless connection is solid, no drop outs on the tablets.

Easy setup, just choose Plusnet from the dropdown list.

USB setup is also a breeze, I am currently only using it for storage, via the ftp, I hope be testing the Print option soon, with an Epsom SX115.

So far it, is better than the TG582n supplied by Plusnet.

Kitz has done a review on the TD-W9970 which helped me make my mind up to buy.....

HTH.....

P.S

I forgot to mention, I have mine wall mounted, (not essential), but helps for me.....