Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin Play N600 DB will not connect...

FIXED
Steve747
Dabbler

Belkin Play N600 DB will not connect...

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have a new Belkin Play N600 DB which I intend to use purely as a modem and then connect my Asus Zen mesh network. However, I cannot make this thing connect to my plusnet service which is ADSL. I'm using PPoA, VPI 0 and VCI 38 and VC-mux as the settings but nothing will make this connect. I can disconnect it, plug the Plusnet device back in using the same cables and everything connects as normal so cabling is correct etc.

It's driving me nuts - any suggestions?

22 REPLIES 22
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Belkin Play N600 DB will not connect...

What about username and password? Have you entered them ?

Steve747
Dabbler

yes - sorry should have said. In the form of 'username@plusdsl.net' and regular account password.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you're using the n600.as a modem and the mesh router is making the pppoe connection, then the multiplexing on the n600 needs setting to LLC not vc-mux

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve747
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW - but I haven't got to that stage - the intent was to connect via the N600 and ensure everything was working and then set up as modem only so the only thing connected up at this point is the N600 - but as said, it won't connect - keeps telling me it's not connected and it suspects a cable issue, but again, I've used the Belkin cable with the plusnet modem to ensure it's fine and it is....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

According to this https://www.belkin.com/uk/support-article?articleNum=3971 the n600 DB doesn't have a modem, its a router only

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@MisterW  I think you are looking at the wrong one, there is a modem version https://www.belkin.com/uk/support-product?pid=01t80000002wmRhAAI 

It has a rubbish user guide though, and is not a lot of help.

Steve747
Dabbler

Yeah, definitely the modem version…. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, you're right, looking at the wrong one

What's the colour of the status light?

Steve747
Dabbler

Flashing orange - it attempts to login whilst flashing orange, the N600 wifi then drops and reconnects and then recommences flashing orange…

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so that means its not getting DSL sync. 

Steve747
Dabbler

Thanks for all the pointers, however, this could all be down to me. Given I'm used to FTTP and haven't until now encountered FTTC and then what looks like an ADSL connection to the modem, I assumed I had ADSL - it seems after talking to PN that I don't, I have fibre and the Belkin is incompatible. 

Anyone have any good recommendations for a router to replace the PN one (that don't involve buying second hand kit off eBay)? Or whether RJ11 to RJ45 adaptors would work with the PN setup? I currently have an Asus Zen router/mesh system and am keen to use that with PN at some point.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Or whether RJ11 to RJ45 adaptors would work with the PN setup?

It's not as simple as that, you need something with a VDSL modem to connect to the line. That will have an RJ11 connector.

I currently have an Asus Zen router/mesh system and am keen to use that with PN at some point.

A separate VDSL modem, would be the best option to use the Zen system fully. The modem will have an RJ45 connection to connect to the Zen.

that don't involve buying second hand kit off eBay)? TBH the most cost effective VDSL modem is the Openreach HG612 (only available used from ebay ). Best new modem is the Draytek Vigor 130 but its not cheap. If you dont mind the look of it, then the Tplink W9970 https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/ can be picked up for £35 from Argos. It has a good quality VDSL modem and can easily be set into bridge(modem only) mode.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Steve747
Dabbler

Thanks again, I guess I need to have a good read; as I said, I've been used to RJ45 into the premises which makes for easy choices. The TP-Link has definitely been hit with the ugly stick but I can hide that out of sight I guess so I'll probably go down that route.