Did you mean: 

Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

FIXED
geecologist
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

Hi folks,

I've read everything on here that I can find about HG612 config, but I'm still stuck.

Off the back of a recommendation here, I bought an BT/Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B fibre modem from eBay (which the seller said is unlocked and has a webui, but I can't find it at any of the IPs that I would expect a UI to be at...?) 

I've just replaced my Plusnet router with the HG612, and plugged the Google Nest into the LAN2 port (which I read solved someone's problem on one of the threads here). When I go through the Google Nest setup though, it can't get past a screen saying 'WAN settings are incorrect' where I can choose between DHCP, Static IP or PPPoE.

DHCP just doesn't do anything when I click through (but my understanding is that it's sort of an automatic handling of the settings, so if there's a problem it wouldn't do anything so I guess that's to be expected).
I haven't tried changing the Static IP settings as I've no idea what that's setting a static IP for -> the router in it's connection to the modem??
And I don't understand PPPoE either, so have tried my PlusNet account login, etc, but not having any luck.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point out the obvious thing I'm doing wrong so I can move forward as I've spoken to Google's support and not got anywhere and am just going in circles trying to decipher the tech advice online.

Thanks!

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
geecologist
Hooked

Re: Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

Fix

Right - the simple version is that your PPPoE details are:

yourusername@plusdsl.net and your password is your password.

So I was just missing the @plusdsl.net - hopefully this public humiliation helps someone else set up their new Google toys without so much pain!

Cheers

lincolnno1

Hi,

How are you getting on with the 612 and nest router set up?

I have been considering doing this for a while and and thinking i might take the plunge.

I'd be interested to hear how you are finding it.

Thanks,

geecologist
Hooked

It's been excellent, I have to say. As I switched provider, router and modem at the same time, it's hard to attribute it to one element or another, but our connection's never been more reliable, and the Nest mesh coverage really is what you'd hope.

I'd definitely recommend it, I have one router and one point, and it comfortably covers our sizeable, old 3 storey terraced house, including the garden. 

Good luck if you switch!

lincolnno1

Great, thanks for that.

I have ordered my modem.

I'll order the nest WiFi after it gets here.