Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

FIXED
Fixes: 1

Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

Hi folks,

I've read everything on here that I can find about HG612 config, but I'm still stuck.

Off the back of a recommendation here, I bought an BT/Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B fibre modem from eBay (which the seller said is unlocked and has a webui, but I can't find it at any of the IPs that I would expect a UI to be at...?) 

I've just replaced my Plusnet router with the HG612, and plugged the Google Nest into the LAN2 port (which I read solved someone's problem on one of the threads here). When I go through the Google Nest setup though, it can't get past a screen saying 'WAN settings are incorrect' where I can choose between DHCP, Static IP or PPPoE.

DHCP just doesn't do anything when I click through (but my understanding is that it's sort of an automatic handling of the settings, so if there's a problem it wouldn't do anything so I guess that's to be expected).
I haven't tried changing the Static IP settings as I've no idea what that's setting a static IP for -> the router in it's connection to the modem??
And I don't understand PPPoE either, so have tried my PlusNet account login, etc, but not having any luck.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point out the obvious thing I'm doing wrong so I can move forward as I've spoken to Google's support and not got anywhere and am just going in circles trying to decipher the tech advice online.

Thanks!

Tom

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Fixes: 1

Re: Basic config for HG612 modem into Google Nest router

Fix

Right - the simple version is that your PPPoE details are:

yourusername@plusdsl.net and your password is your password.

So I was just missing the @plusdsl.net - hopefully this public humiliation helps someone else set up their new Google toys without so much pain!

Cheers