cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT wifi status active on Smart hub (Home Hub 6). Help me get rid of it please!

wackymaky
Hooked

BT wifi status active on Smart hub (Home Hub 6). Help me get rid of it please!

Hi all,

Recently set up my apartment with plusnet, with the prior knowledge that I can use the good (for my use case) Smart hub with it. One thing I have noticed however, the BT wifi hotspot system is reporting to be active on my router. If it's not evident, I resent even the idea of having randomers on my line so I would really like to turn it off, although there does not seem to be a toggle for it that I can find.

Many moons ago when I was with BT I vaguely remember toggling it off with ease. If it's of any help the SW ver is SG4B1000E020.

I see a lot of chat in here about using the smart hub with Plusnet so i'm hoping one of you knows the solution.

Shout out to Baldrick for the guide I used to get set up!

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: BT wifi status active on Smart hub (Home Hub 6). Help me get rid of it please!

@wackymaky 

It shows as active as that’s the default state but others who use the residential Smarthub report that it isn’t active when used on the Plusnet network. These days you switch it off in your BT account, which obviously we don’t have.

I use the Business version that gives you full control of different options.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: BT wifi status active on Smart hub (Home Hub 6). Help me get rid of it please!

Did you do a factory reset before setting it up for PN?

wackymaky
Hooked

Now you mention it i've gone up to the router with my phone and while there is BT wifi, the signal strength is comparatively poor to my own, so it does seem that perhaps the router is not broadcasting bt wifi despite the status page claiming it is.

Good to know RE the business router. Frustratingly I only just bought this residential one as the previous residential one I had suddenly developed the no wifi signal at all issue, even after factory resets etc. Quick google seems to show not unheard of. (component burn out?)

wackymaky
Hooked

Yes I did, I followed Baldrick's posted guide to a T, but may be worth resetting trying again as it must have done a firmware update following my setting up of it for Plusnet.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are there any other BT routers within range, could the broadcast be from that?

wackymaky
Hooked

Yes having looked at signal strengths again I'm pretty confident that my smarthub is NOT broadcasting bt wifi despite saying it is. I must admit, I wrote my initial question before checking this and just took the smart hub's status page claiming that it was at face value.

I'm going to do a factory reset now just to see if I can get the satisfaction of getting the status page to report that bt wifi is disabled.

Baldrick1

@wackymaky 

Good luck. I’m pretty sure that this feature was removed several firmware updates ago. As I remember it if the feature had already been turned off then this was retained when the firmware updated and removed the control option.

Please come back and tell us if this is incorrect.

Moderator and Customer

wackymaky
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

So I reset it, but the bt wifi 'active' status remains there with no obvious toggle.

However the good news is, as before, I am very confident that my hub is not broadcasting BT wifi as have just checked again with my phone standing next to the router and there is a very weak signal for Bt wifi compared with my own SSID, certainly from some other bt hub. I think that's good enough of a resolution for me. 

The time was not wasted as I needed to change the SSIDs from default anyway.

In truth, I am waiting for a dsl modem wifi 6 router to come out, but I fear it may never as the market for dsl routers seems to be very small, with most models floating around many years old... (Don't want a 2 box solution)

Thanks to both yourself and @Mustrum for your assistance!

Baldrick1

@wackymaky 

If you want to be absolutely sure then switch off your hub and see if the BT transmission is still there. Before switching off select disconnect to shut down the connection properly as repeated dropping of the line by switching off thesupply can fool the DLM into thinking that you fave a fault and reducing your speed.

Personally I would rather spend money on a Mesh system and distribute satellites to get the best WiFi coverage rather than spend a similar amount of money on an all bells and whistles WiFi6 router. Investing in a combined VDSL/WiFi6 router is to spend money on a dead end product. It will become obsolete as soon as there is a wider roll out of FTTP.

Moderator and Customer