cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT smart hub 2 with wifi discs

Drongo

BT smart hub 2 with wifi discs

Hi there,

im thinking of moving to plusnet as current deal is £21 per month for the service that I am paying BT £47 for!

I live in an old property and currrently need 3 wifi booster discs from BT to get a signal in every room. I own the smart hub 2 but would have to buy the discs from BT if I leave at £30 each.

will plusnet work with my smart hub? If not, any recommendations on what wifi boosters would work well with their router?

I have looked at other posts on here but I have absolutely no technical knowledge whatsoever. I simply don’t understand any of the replies!

can anyone explain what I should do in a total idiot proof way?!

thank you 

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: BT smart hub 2 with wifi discs

@Drongo  Welcome to the forum.

Follow the guide linked from here for the full setting instructions for a Smarthub 2, they work fine and are much better than the Plusnet hubs. If you have problems then you can always come back here for advice https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

In your case coming from BT all that you have to do is remove the DSL cable, log in to the appropriate page as explained in the instructions, input your Plusnet account username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net and password. On reconnecting the DSL cable you should be up and running.

The big question is whether the discs will work. You will lose the use of the BT app. I have no idea if you still have control by logging in to the hub management pages. Hopefully someone has tried it and will come along and comment.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Drongo

Thanks for the help. I’m not sure what to do in that case, perhaps it would be better to send the discs back and buy something universal from curry’s?
Or stick with BT and carry on paying more than double for the same service!
Baldrick1

@Drongo 

Another option is to switch to Plusnet and try your current set up. If the discs don’t work you could send them back and buy a mesh system. I believe that the BT whole home WiFi works well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid...

Also see. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-with-PN/m-p/1652505...
Over the 3 year guarantee period you would be 100s of pounds better off.

Moderator and Customer

Drongo

That’s great, thank you! I think I will do that then. I’m guessing you are happy with plus net’s service generally? I’ve always been with BT so there’s that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it mentality. Just can’t ignore the price difference though. The last straw was them offering me a no landline broadband service for £1 a month MORE than the same service WITH a landline!

Baldrick1

@Drongo 

You can only assess the quality of customer services if things go wrong. Fortunately I currently have a good line so can’t comment. However if you have problems my advice is to come here for help.

Don’t be surprised if BT come back with an improved price as soon as they learn that you are transferring.

Moderator and Customer