Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smarthub. Doesn't accept password.

FIXED
RadioFox
Grafter

BT Smarthub. Doesn't accept password.

Just bought a BT Smarthub type B as a backup to my Hub One. When I get to the part where I need to enter the password for my account, it isn't being accepted as it contains the character "+". The password is supposed to be the one that we use to access the member centre. My member centre password definately contains the "+" character.

However, when looking at the Hub one "advanced settings > broadpand" page, it shows only 8 dots for my password, whearas my member centre password is 13 characters. Not sure if the 8 dots shown represent the actual number of characters, or whether any password would be shown with just 8 dots. Unfortunately I can't see an option to show me what that password is.

I assume that the router was posted to me with that password already linked to my account, but how do I find out what it is? All the instructions I have seen, tell you to use the member centre password, but mine isn't accepted.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: BT Smarthub. Doesn't accept password.

Fix

Although I've not used one myself, I'm sure I've seen posts on here about the Smart Hub not accepting passwords with certain 'special' characters.

The PlusNet hub one will autoconfigure itself and obtain your credentials from the PlusNet server. 

You are correct that the member centre password is the same one used by the router. I suspect that to use the SMArt Hub you will need to change the password, via the member centre, to one without special characters. Should you need to revert to using the Hub one after that , then you can either update the password manually OR a factory reset will cause it to retrieve the new one automatically.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RadioFox
Grafter

Re: BT Smarthub. Doesn't accept password.

Thanks for your reply.

I did as suggested & changed my password to include an underscore instead of a "plus" sign. The Plusnet router appeared to update itself immediately. I'm glad it did, as I could't see a way of changing it manually.

I put the new password into the BT Smarthub & all working fine.👍

btw...the 6 characters that were listed as not allowed were ? " $ [ \ +