Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart hub parental controls?

SWLBristol
Dabbler

Re: BT Smart hub parental controls?

Thanks both @Baldrick1 and @RealAleMadrid

My plusnet hub was working 10 days ago but I must admit I didn't check it was the other day when I swapped it for the BT business smart hub. I'll swap it back later when the family are in bed and see if the safeguard settings work with my plusnet hub if not then I'll know it's not the BT hub that is the issue.
Thanks for your time on this.
SWLBristol
Dabbler

Thank you so much for highlighting this, having plugged in my Plusnet hub I discovered that safeguard isn't working on that despite having everything set up correctly so that was is where the problem lies.

SWLBristol
Dabbler

Really feeling a bit silly now because I've discovered the problem is with Plusnet safeguard not working.  I've plugged in my plusnet hub and despite having the safeguard on in my account and all set up correctly it is not filtering out anything at all. so sorry to have wasted your time, as it was working last week ( in fact I've never know it not to work but then I guess I'm not actively checking it!) I assumed it was all fine. I'll log a ticket with plusnet and once they've fixed it I'll swap hubs over again and hopefully now I know how to changed DNS settings etc I won't have any problems.  Thanks again for your help

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I find OpenDNS does work well for this sort of thing.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SWLBristol
Dabbler

Thanks but unfortunately it doesn't work for igcognito mode on chrome browser. 

dvorak

Did you change the DNS settings on the router though?
You need to do that and also setup dyndns or something for it to work properly.
Customer / Moderator
SWLBristol
Dabbler

Thanks, no I didn't - but I didn't think you could change the DNS settings on the plusnet router? 

dvorak

You can’t but you can on the BT one you have as discussed above Smiley
Customer / Moderator
SWLBristol
Dabbler

I've put the BT Business hub back in situ and changed the DNS to the Open DNS numbers but i'm getting the same problem, it works on a normal tab browser and gives me the site blocked when I visit 'internetbadguys' but it doesn't work with incognito mode on chrome.  I'm sure that my Plusnet Safeguard used to filter out the bad stuff in incognito mode, but at the moment it doesn't it only appears to work in an ordinary browsing tab. I'll take it up with Plusnet. thanks for your help though.

SWLBristol
Dabbler

Feeling rather proud of myself now as I've watched a video on how to turn off incognito for Chrome, followed this and it works, incognito is now disabled on the laptop so hopefully having that plus either OpenDNS or Plusnet Safeguard active will do what I'm looking for in terms of parental control.

Thanks all