Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub vs. TG582N

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

BT Smart Hub vs. TG582N

I have acquired a HH6. Without configuring it for Plusnet I powered it up in the same room as my TG582N and using Netgear's WiFi Analytics app tested the signal strength throughout my house. In the same room as the routers both routers gave approximately the same levels (just below -50dBm), but further away the HH6 slightly shaded the TG582N, until I went upstairs when the HH6 seemed to drop off more. The signal strength seemed to fluctuate more for the HH6.

Have I performed a valid comparison or do i need to fully configure the HH6 to sync my connection in order to get a meaningful comparison, particularly concerning the fluctuating signal strength?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: BT Smart Hub vs. TG582N

Is the TG 582 dual band? Did you test the two on the same channel? Have you separated the two bands on the Smarthub 6 in case the two bands being syncronised is confusing things? Did you try each band in turn on the Smarthub 6 (and the TG582 if it has this capabiliy) to see which is best?

Having the Smarthub 6 synchronised to the internet shouldn't make a difference but there are other issues to consider.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT Smart Hub vs. TG582N

Thanks @Baldrick1 for your response - clearly more to think about.

The Tg582N is a single band (2.4 GHz) router, and since I hadn't done anything to the HH6 config and only saw 1 signal with its SSID in WiFi Analytics I'm assuming not split. Also, I don't know how  the app deals with different frequency signals or indeed if the android tablet I used has dual band connectivity. So in essence my tests so far don't adequately test the HH6.

More fun and games to be had then.

My other car isn't a Ferrari