Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 6

BarryGB

BT Smart Hub 6

Hi. I've been with Plusnet since 2009 and my login name is of the form

username@plusdsl2.net.

according to the connection details of my account.

When the power adapter to my rusty old Netgear hub failed I decided to get a replacement hub too and bought a new BT Hub 6 from ebay.

I followed Baldrick's guide and everything seemed ok. The router's light turned blue and the router home page indicates that I'm connected. However I cannot access any web pages. The netgear router continues to function as usual when I switch the phone socket cable to it so there appears to be nothing wrong with the line.

I am only minimally tech savvy. I have noted that both the primary and secondary DNS addresses on my Plusnet connection printout differ from those showing on both the Netgear and Bt hubs ( which are both the same ). I have tried leaving out the 2 in my login name and have done several factory resets. 

I'm stuck. I'd be grateful for any help.

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT Smart Hub 6

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

This £$%^&% forum!! @dvorak moving posts when they are being responded to is fatal. Why oh why can't they be locked at such times so that replies that are in progeress are not lost!

Nothing is more frustrating then spending ages writing a reply only for it to disappear into a black hole!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@BarryGB 

It sounds as if you are connected to the FTTC cabinet but not the Plusnet servers. Have you tried addinf @plusdsl.net ratther than plusdsl2.net, or is this just a typo?

What DNS server are you seeing? They can be either 12.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 or 212.159.13.49. 212.159.13.50. Have you checked that your plusnet credentials have been retained in the Smarthub settings? If they have reverted to the original bt ones then that's generally an indication that you plugged your DSL cable in before instructed. Have you checked your username and password are correct by using them to log into your Plusnet account?

Do you have any special characters in your password? Some Smarthub firmware versions don't like them so if you have any log into your Plusnet account and change to just alpha numeric characters. Ignore any messages about using a special character.

Moderator and Customer

BarryGB

Thank you for your advice. I have tried using @ plusdsl.net rather than @ plusdsl2.net to no avail. My plusnet credentials are retained by the router and the 2 is not a typo. The DNS servers I am seeing are:

Primary 62.6.38.125

Secondary 194.74.65.98

My Plusnet connection details list them as

212.159.11.150 and

but my Netgear router shows them as you indicated (212.159.6.9 and 10 ).

My password is all lowercase letters without any other characters.

My username ( @ plusdsl2.net ) and password allow me to log into my Plusnet account.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@Baldrick1 wrote:

This £$%^&% forum!! @dvorak moving posts when they are being responded to is fatal. Why oh why can't they be locked at such times so that replies that are in progeress are not lost!

Nothing is more frustrating then spending ages writing a reply only for it to disappear into a black hole!

Don’t shoot the messenger Sad

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@dvorak 

Please believe I was in no way criticising you. I was referring to Lithium's forum. I appreciate all the time you spend keeping some order 'housekeeping' around here. It's just irritating when you try to post a response that this is lost if the original post has been moved. If it was put into a drafts folder at least it could be relinked to the related post.

Moderator and Customer

BarryGB

Just to let you know that it turns out that I have been with Plusnet since March 2004 and not 2009 as I thought. Maybe something got scrambled when BT took over, but in any case the connection details on my account bore no resemblance to what they really are. When I finally obtained the correct details and followed your guide, the Hub6 was up and running in 15 minutes. One firmware update only. For what its worth, I also followed the gist of your guide to set up a Talktalk Sagemcom fast 5364 ( used from Ebay ). It took a bit longer to set up but is stable and running. I don't yet know which is the better hub in my home.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.

bugbear
Grafter

I read some of the mega-thread, but got confused.

Is there a known solution to the "BT Wifi always on" issue?

I'd like to upgrade my original Plusnet Thomson 585 router (from 2012), and the Smart 6 sounds fine, but I don't want to be giving away bandwidth to passers by!

BugBear

Baldrick1

@bugbear 

Whilst it shows as on it doesn't actually work on a Plusnet account. Alternatively you can pay a few pounds more and get a Business version. As well as other setting options you can disable public WiFi on these. 

Moderator and Customer

bugbear
Grafter

eBay has provided a Business Smart Hub 6. Before I start trying to set it up (and lose this connection!), is the first post of this 625-post thread (!!!) still "best known practise"?

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

I note that it is dated ‎12-11-2018, so quite a while ago.

BugBear

Baldrick1

@bugbear 

It still works but a couple of things to note:

Some earlier versions of the firmware do not like special characters in your account password. If you use any then log into your Plusnet account and change to alpha numeric characters only. Ignore any message that says use one.

Smart set up has moved to the Status page.

Do not plug the DSL cable in until instructed to do so.

Moderator and Customer

bugbear
Grafter

OK, that all sounds fine. Thank you.

Wish me luck, I'm going in!

BugBear

Baldrick1

@bugbear 

No luck is required. If you screw it up just factory reset and start again.

Moderator and Customer

bugbear
Grafter

No luck required - just follow the step by step instructions.

All installed and working, and being used to send this very message.

THANK YOU!

BugBear