cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 6 no connection

echinos1

BT Smart Hub 6 no connection

Hello all

On the advice of Plusnet support and many on this forum I recently bought a new BT Smart Hub 6 on ebay in order to get better wifi coverage in my house.  I have followed all the advice on this forum to set this up including doing a factory reset, switching off smart set up, changing the username to my plusnet account name followed by @plusdsl.net (i.e. as it appears in my plusnet router), inserting my password (the same I use to login to the member centre and my router) and trying every permutation of doing before and after connecting the DSL line (with and without the phone connection).  However, the result is always the same - a flashing orange light and no connection.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated... 

PS:  I have an ADSL connection, have been using a 2704n router and have a simple password (all alphanumeric)

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 no connection

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@echinos1  welcome to the forum.

Have you got a special character in your password? If so then ignore the Plusnet request and change it to one using only alpha numeric characters.

The DSL cable must not be plugged in until after you have entered your Plusnet credentials.

Edit,

Ihave just noyiced you PS Sorry about the password comments.

is the Smarthub accepting your Plusnet credentials or are they reverting to the bt one?

The password you use is the member centre one, not the one you use to log into your router (your post is a bit confusing in this respect)

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

echinos1

Hi Baldrick

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The router does seem to be accepting the plusnet credentials - there is no save button, but they remain in place after pressing connect / moving to the advanced settings page and back.  I've also tried connecting the DSL cable after doing the above as you suggest.

I note the BT router has had a firmware update in Feb 2020.  Not sure if that is relevant.  Also is there an ADSL setting (as opposed to fibre)?  I can't see anything.

Baldrick1

@echinos1 

I use the business version so my user interface is slightly different. However the selection of ADSL or VDSL is automatic. If you log into the router the first page, Status, should have a Connection Type field. This should show ADSL.

The other way to tell is to go to the Advances Settings/ Technical log. Under modulation it should be G_992xxx for ADSL and G_993xxx for fibre.

If you are still having trouble check that your username is correct and is in the form me@plusdsl.net (no spaces) If and the password is OK by logging in to the member centre.

If you are still stuck then it might help if you posted a copy of the Technical log after hiding your user name.

Moderator and Customer

echinos1

Hi

I'm afraid I couldn't find a connection type or modulation field.  I attach a screenshot of the technical log as suggested.

Many thanks 

Baldrick1

@echinos1 

From the screenshot and the firmware version I assume that this is a Type B Smarthub? Hence probaby a different layout to that with ehich I am familiar.

The important thing to note is that this is not synchronising with the street cabinet, .This is shown by there being no connection speed or dsl uptime shown. This is very strange because, and I can only speak with experience of the Type A, these synchronise regardless of whether you enter the correct sign on parameters or not, you just can't get on the net.

It begs the question whether you have either bought a dud or have a more basic connection problem such as the dsl cable is faulty or not plugged in. It might just be worth doing a factory reset and see if it synchronises and throws up a bt connection error.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@echinos1 

Another observation. You haven't got a space between the @ and plusdsl.net have you? The screenshot is not clear.

Moderator and Customer

Pogopat

Bit of an old post but I’m having the same problem and wanted to know did you get this sorted?
Got a new Smart hub off eBay and spent 3 hours going round the houses this morning and it just doesn’t connect. Will start a fresh post if it’s wrong to jump in here.
Baldrick1

@Pogopat  Welcome to the forum

The advantage of statrting your own topic is that posts appended to old ones can get missed. Anyway you are here now so leave it as it is.

Have you followed these instructions to the letter? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

One of the mistakes that people make is that they plug the DSL cable in before being told to. This must NOT be plugged in until you have entered your Plusnet username and password and it is trying to connect.

Have you added @plusdsl.net to your user name?

Have you disconnected your computer both wireless and Ethernet from any other broadband connection, that is your plusnet hub is switched off?

One last issue is that if your Smarthub has an early version of firmware (don't worry as the firmware will automatically update when you connect) it will not accept any special characters in your Plusnet password. In this case you need to log into your Plusnet account and change it to just alpha numeric characters. Ignore the Plusnet message telling you to use the special ones.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

Pogopat

Yeah it was that post that I followed. Had several attempts at it. First time I did connect the DSL cable to soon.
I’ve reset the router each time and started afresh.
Username and password saved and looks fine.
Haven’t got a save button to press to as mentioned on the post I exit and went back in and it was saved fine. Once I plug the dsl wire in it settles to a orange light ( not flashing) on router and I tried several times and it tries connecting but just doesn’t.
Will try again later when no family using it.( plugged Plusnet hub back in for now)
Saw on this post mention of checking right connect in setting which will try.
Was advised to get Bt router from Plusnet adviser after firmware problems leaving connection to drop occasionally for no reason.
Great posts by the way. I’ll keep trying and let you know later if successful.
Shaunwood
Dabbler

Did you ever get a resolution for this issue?

I have the exact same issue as you. All details saved but no connection.

I press connect and nothing happens.

I followed the very detailed instructions by @Baldrick1 on another thread but it just wont connect.

I know my ADSL is fine as i am using it with my supplied Plusnet router.

Hope someone can help. I can supply screenshots of the set up screen in the hub page.

Baldrick1

@Shaunwood 

If you post your screenshots we can look at them. Obscure your username apart from the @plusdsl.net bit

Moderator and Customer

Shaunwood
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 i have done that on your original post. Dont want to duplicate and become a pain. Do you want them here or have you seen on your original>

Baldrick1

@Shaunwood 

No, see other thread. Double posting should be avoided as it causes considerable confusion.

Moderator and Customer