cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub 6 flashing orange

Aya

BT Smart Hub 6 flashing orange

I recently moved house and switched to Plusnet ADSL broadband from BT. Decided to use the BT Smart Hub 6 left behind by a previous tenant (and reportedly in order). I followed all the instructions for setting it up (took DSL cable out, did a factory reset, turned off the smart setup and then entered my username followed by @plusdsl.net and my account password). Initially it didn't connect at all (purple flashing light). I contacted Plusnet and it turned out there was a fault. Engineer showed up and fixed the phone line (turned out it wasn't working at all). After his visit, router light has been flashing orange and the broadband status is stuck on "Connecting" for the past two days, occasionally changing to purple flashing light and then going back to orange. Any thoughts? Should I get a new router or is it possible that there's a fault with the broadband?
11 REPLIES 11
Moz
Grafter

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 flashing orange

@Aya I set up a Hub 6 yesterday and found that when you enter your username and password there was no option that appeared to save the changes you've just made. If you leave that page in belief you've set it up correctly it reverts back to a default setting. What I did was to enter my username and password and then click the connect button. This seems to save your changes. Might be worth a look to see if this is what has happened in your case. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You need to follow the instructions here to use a the Smart Hub 6 - it'll need a factory reset first.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673/

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Aya

Thank you both, but I've done all and I'm certain that the router has the right settings (even after I reboot it, it displays my username and password). @dvorak those were the instructions I followed.

The only thing is, the broadband displayed is still "BT broadband", but I guess that's because it's never connected to Plusnet.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Aya,

Just to confirm, does your connection work OK if you connect our router?

Best wishes

Dave

Aya

Hi Dave,
I never purchased the Plusnet router, as I was hoping to make the one I already had work. I'll acquire another router and give it a go.
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Aya
Are you sure your Plusnet password doesn't contain any 'special' characters?
The BT router doesn't like them.
You have probably checked that already but it isn't specifically mentioned here.
You can change your password on the website if it does contain those characters.
Good luck.
Aya

It's only letters and numbers. Thank you, I'll check again if everything is in order with Plusnet and try another router. After 22 days without Internet at home (waiting for the switch, etc), I'm almost used to it haha
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Let us know how it goes @Aya,

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Aya 

Did you select 'connect' and get the 'connecting' response before plugging in the DSL cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Moz
Grafter

@Aya when you reset the Hub 6 to its factory settings do it without connecting it to the telephone line. Boot it up until the light flashes purple and then press and hold in the reset switch using a paperclip until the light goes green. Let it boot through to the flashing purple light once more. Then set up your username and password by connecting it to your computer and still disconnected from the telephone line. When you've added your username and password click on the connect button. It won't connect because you are still disconnected from the telephone line. Clicking on the Connect button seems to save your changes then power off the router connect up the telephone line and power back up.   I had similar problems to you through not holding down the reset switch long enough. I took about 30 seconds in my case.   

Aya

Thank you all for the advice and support. I'm having the broadband engineer over, as I think the problem is beyond my powers to resolve it. Will keep you posted how it goes!