cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Openreach Modem

Bluecat1

BT Openreach Modem

I use a BT Openreach Modem + Linksys EA6900 AC Router.

I have read that BT have now withdrawn the Openreach modem, so I'm now researching a replacement for my Openreach FTTC modem.

I have read around and it appears that two common options which are regularly discussed are the:-

1) TP-Link TD-W9970
2) Draytek Vigor 130

I'm looking for something which is simple to set-up as a replacement, reliable and secure, and something which will not reduce the quality of my existing internet speed.

I do plan to move to a mesh set-up, in the not too distant future, but as they don’t seem to have modem/router built-in so it looks like I will have to carry on with a separate modem + router set-up.

If you have any thoughts, advice or experience on this matter it would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: BT Openreach Modem

BT withdrew the modem a few years ago!

I've used the 9970 as a modem for a while now and it's a good modem, it looks awful though!. Simple to set up as a modem, just select bridge mode.

No experience of the Draytek modems although I do use a Draytek router and know other people with them, good quality kit but a tad expensive.

Why not just get a spare BT modem (HG612) from ebay ? As a modem , the HG612 is about the best there is.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bluecat1

Hi
Thanks for the reply
To be honest with all the news coverage at the moment about that particular manufacturer I'm not sure I want their box sitting in my house especially as it's a closed device.Who knows what going on when its unattended.
minted
Dabbler

There's not much point complaining that the modem is made by Huawei.

It's more than likely the street side cabinet you connect to is also Huawei and if it is then that cabinet in turn connects to Huawei equipment in the exchange.

These are all dumb devices that can't actually see any of your data so not a security risk.

The vast majority of OpenReach's equipment is made by Huawei, particularly the FTTC kit.
The majority of the FTTP kit is probably also Huawei although gradually that should be overtaken by Nokia FTTP equipment.
Bluecat1

Goodness, is that so?
Many thanks for the info. It's amazing how little Joe public knows about what's going on out there.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'