cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Modem and Plusnet

iwantinfo

BT Modem and Plusnet

Im getting hacked off with BT's prices and considering Plusnet but need some info about set up. I've worked in IT so set up doesnt phase me.

I took up BT Infinity FTTC when it became available in my postcode a number of years ago and got sent a home hub (3?) and separate BT modem. I soon found the HH was rubbish so replaced it with a Netgear WNDR4500 router.

If I migrate to Plusnet, can I continue to use the BT modem or do I have to bin the old modem? The Plusnet router looks very similar to the old BT HH3 (not surprising seeing as they are the same company!). Is this Plusnet router a 'modem \ router' or just a router?

Im presuming I'll need to access the BT modem to change BT's default settings to whatever Plusnet supplies?

6 REPLIES 6
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: BT Modem and Plusnet

Hi @iwantinfo

Thanks for getting in touch.

The router that we supply is router/modem in one so you won't need a separate modem to connect to our service.

Many 3rd party routers can be used to access a Plusnet connection - you'd just need to configure the username and password manually in the router's internal setup menu (usually an IP address of some kind).

Although I'm not able to confirm that the Netgear will definitely work, I'd say it's likely as it isn't tied to any particular ISP (Some ISP's "lock" their routers so that they can only be used with their service). Perhaps one of our fellow community members who owns one would be able to give you a definitive answer?

Best wishes

Dave

iwantinfo

Thanks for the response. My Netgear isnt locked to an ISP but Im not sure of the BT modem. Anyone know if the BT modem is locked?

If not, I presume the router function of the Plusnet 'hub' can be turned off and still use my own router to perform this function?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You BT/Openreach modem is locked, but there aren't any parameters that will need changing to work on PN.

All you will need to do is change the username and password on your Netgear router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If not, I presume the router function of the Plusnet 'hub' can be turned off and still use my own router to perform this function?

just for completeness, the router function can't be disabled on the PlusNet Hub!

but as @Mustrum says, you can use your BT modem and existing router without any problems

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi iwantinfo,

BT Openreach modems are not locked to an ISP.

I am using a BT supplied HG612 modem bought from Ebay with Plusnet.

The modems do not contain any ISP specific configuration.

Regards

Richard

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@iwantinfo

The PlusNet FTTC router is a modified BT HH5

Any VDSL modem/router will work with PlusNet - you just need to change the settings. PlusNet supply the required information on a support Help page.

Brian