cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT HomeHub 5 - Wireless hopeless

JeremyP99
Grafter

BT HomeHub 5 - Wireless hopeless

Moved from ADSL to fibre to the cabinet a few months back. As Plusnet forgot to send us a new modem, we only found out when the ADSL router stopper working! Happily I had a spare BT HomeHub 5 router, which works fine for ethernet - all our PCs are hardwired, direct to router or using Ethernet Powelines.

However, we can't do this for phones, and the wireless on this router only works if you are in the room it is in, or the one beneath it.Even 15 feet through a one depth internal brick wall is enough to clobber the signal. 

We do have a HomeHub6 as this was sent on after the above. Will that work better? And why anyway is the wireless signal so poor in our house? 

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: BT HomeHub 5 - Wireless hopeless

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yeah, the SmartHub will be better - there are instructions on setting it up with PN here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JeremyP99 

Are you saying that your wireless with the Home Hub 5 is worse than it was with a Plusnet Hub Zero? If so the problem could well be being caused by the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands being synchronised. If you follow through the instructions linked in the post by @dvorak  this will tell you how to separate them. Having done this you need to try both and use the best.

A couple of tips, do not plug the DSL cable in before instructed else it won't pick up your Plusnet credentials. Also do not use any special characters in your Plusnet password.

For information the Plusnet Hub One supplied with fibre services is, behind the garish colour scheme, a Home Hub 5a with tweeked firmware, hence many of us have upgraded to a Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JeremyP99
Grafter

Thank you - I shall try that ASAP and get back.

JeremyP99
Grafter

That too, tho' the previous router wasn't much better either - this was an ADSL one, as it was the switch to fibre to the cabinet that forced the swap to the HomeHub 5. As noted, will install the version 6 router when I have a chance, and report back - thanks for your response. 

JeremyP99
Grafter

Changed that setting - no difference. No chance yet - family over this weekend - to put in the new router. More when that happens