cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

garywood84
Rising Star

BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

If I use a BT Home Hub 6 on my Plusnet account, is it possible to download firmware updates for the router? If so, how?

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: BT Home Hub 6 - firmware updates

Hi @garywood84 

Unfortunately we can’t arrange for the firmware in BT routers to be updated however from what I’ve read to happen I believe that BT will update the firmware automatically when one is available although I wouldn’t quote me on that. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The Bt Smart Hub and BT Smart Hub2 both received the latest updates when connected to plusnet.

garywood84
Rising Star

@LifeonMars 

Perfect - thanks mate. I may try and obtain a HH6 via ebay to provide an interim solution whilst we push Plusnet to find a proper resolution to this.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@garywood84 

Why only an interim solution? The Smarthub 6 is superior to a Hub One, which under the ugly case is an old BT Home Hub 5a with tweeked firmware.

Don't waste your time with the Hub One. Plusnet is a budget ISP and this is reflected in the hardware that they supply.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

garywood84
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

For four reasons, mainly.

First, because the Hub One has worked well for me for the last 3 years. I tried it as a temporary measure when my Netgear router broke, and intended it only to be until I got another Netgear device. But I found that it worked fine, and so I saved money on buying a new router.

Second, because using PN hardware is preferable if a fault arises, because it's definitely not my kit in that context.

Third, because the PN router doesn't have a BT logo on the front.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, because it's important that we still push Plusnet to find a resolution to this problem. It's affecting a lot of people, and if those of us who are able to switch to different kit stop pushing for a solution, those who can't do that for whatever reason can't make as big a fuss.

Out of interest, though why do you think the Home Hub 6 is superior? 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@garywood84 wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Out of interest, though why do you think the Home Hub 6 is superior? 

1. As far as I am aware it does not suffer from all the current Hub One wireless problems

2. See here for a comparison of wireless performance between the two:  https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

3. It does not suffer from the Hub One noise problems.

4. The case is far more attractive than the garish pink footed Hub One, I have no problem with the BT logo.

5. You can dim/switch off the bright blue light.

6. If you get a Business version you have more settings available. For example you can choose the DNS server to use.

I commend your determination to press Plusnet for a solution to whichever of the current Hub One problems you are seeking to get resolved and I wish you all the best with influencing Plusnet/BT (the core firmware is the same as is used on the HH5).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andrewstirling

Hi i have been using hub6 a for the last week on Plus net and it has worked great  slightly better all round performance, on the 22nd it undated firmware to SG4B1000E020 and everything has ground to halt download about 1/5mb upload nonexistent  any idea whats going on I could not post a new thread as im new i suppose 

I have reverted back to the little PN hub which is pretty basic thing but at least im working again 

andrewstirling

Hi

I have ben using a BT Hub 6A for just over a week worked great uploads wear a little better and generally better all round than your little thomson, on the 22nd this month it did a firm weir upgrade to SG4B1000E020 now it barely works lucky to get 1.5/3 mb upload nothing

I am running PN ADSL line as where i am I cant get anything better. 

Any thoughts 

Tags (1)